Author Topic: Ukranian prime minister discusses Stanford Torus  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Subtlety Shortfall

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Ukranian prime minister discusses Stanford Torus
« on: 06/06/2013 03:48 pm »
I hope this is the right section for this post since I usually lurk rather than post, but this is too interesting not to inquire about. While digging for obscure space news, information, and other tidbits, I stumbled across a rather surprising interview with Ukranian prime minister Mykola Azarov from late 2011. It mostly covers topics not relevant here, but my eyebrows nearly flew off my forehead when I got to this part:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/111219/will-ukraine-tilt-east-or-west?page=0,1

But it is impossible to predict what will happen in 20 years. I will tell you a story: I just got back from a plant in Dnipropetrovsk. Only 20 years ago, it was a highly classified facility that produced missiles and satellites for the Soviet Union. Today, I saw with my own eyes: it is producing the first stage of parts for the US-designed Stanford Torus space station in collaboration with scientists from the United States. You cannot imagine the level of cooperation and trust this requires. Who could have imagined that 20 years ago, during the Cold War?

This is why I am optimistic about the future, because I believe the future will belong to all sorts of integration. I believe mankind is facing difficult challenges that will require a high degree of integration to resolve.

What?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Ukranian prime minister discusses Stanford Torus
« Reply #1 on: 06/06/2013 04:20 pm »
Interpretation error, wrong torus

The plant is producing the first stage structure and tanks of the Antares, formerly the Taurus II.
« Last Edit: 06/06/2013 04:21 pm by Jim »

Offline Subtlety Shortfall

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ukranian prime minister discusses Stanford Torus
« Reply #2 on: 06/06/2013 04:23 pm »
Well that is significantly less exciting.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography