Author Topic: LIVE: STS-133 Flight Day 12 - Undocking, Flyaround, Sep, Late Inspections  (Read 116681 times)

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6

Flyaround in HD on my youtube channel  :)

A shining beacon in space, all alone in the night. . .      :)
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Naito

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 51
From Toronto.

I have a big waterspot on my lens :(
Carl C.

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
Discovery was amazingly bright when I saw it tonight as it passed over Elmsford, New York at 7pm EST.  I captured her riding just ahead of the ISS, with Cassiopeia looking on.  I was on my way to a meeting and hastily set up the tripod and my Canon XS, pointed and shot a few exposures. 
I also posted the photo on my blog at
http://bkellysky.wordpress.com/

bob
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 12:43 am by bkellysky »

Offline Astro_yyz

• Toronto, Ontario
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Was walking home and knew there would be an ISS/Discovery flyover at 6.55.  Couldn't make it home in time to get my camera set up - was about 10 mins from home when I looked up in the North West sky and saw Discovery leading the way and the ISS about 10 degrees behind.  Considering I was under street lights, I was surprised how bright Discovery was (not as bright as the ISS, but still....)
Beautiful!  I look at the ISS flying overhead all the time, but tonight was special.
Katrina

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7691
Brandi interviewing a team member, Melinda Redford (I hope I spelled that correctly).
« Last Edit: 03/08/2011 02:00 am by robertross »

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
Thanks for the screenshots of Brian's send off... I remember working with him as a Propulsion (PROP) Officer on many a Shuttle mission.

He is a consummate professional and, while this is a sad, but inevitable, byproduct of the Shuttle program winding down, I'm glad that Brian is stepping down on *his* terms.

Concur Roger. He has been a great sevant to MOD.
Wish I could have stayed for the send off today, but it looks like it was nice.

Offline Spooks

• Texas
Thanks to everyone for all the images you are sharing, just awesome to see!!!! ;D
Spooks is my nickname for 20+ years, I'm David and I'm a Space Junky!

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
Couldn't make it home in time to get my camera set up - was about 10 mins from home when I looked up in the North West sky and saw Discovery leading the way and the ISS about 10 degrees behind. 

Just curious, about how many miles of separation was that?

Offline Bubbinski

We had a snowstorm tonight here in the Wasatch Front :(

Hoping tomorrow is clear - it'll be Last Chance Saloon to see Discovery flying with my own eyes.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online jeffchan

• Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 3
Nice, but quick, pass over Phoenix metro tonight.  Through binoculars, bright white Discovery, followed by yellow/orange ISS.  Hoping for another clear night tomorrow.

Offline Nittany Lion

• State College, PA
Couldn't make it home in time to get my camera set up - was about 10 mins from home when I looked up in the North West sky and saw Discovery leading the way and the ISS about 10 degrees behind. 

I think they were closer than 10 degrees. To me it looked like seven moon-widths or 3.5 degrees. Call it 4 degrees. According to www.heavens-above.com they were 500 km or 300 miles from my location at closest approach.

So 300*tan(4) = (300)(.07) = 21 miles.

Also, ISS seemed about six seconds behind Discovery. At 5 miles per second that’s 30 miles.

So 20 to 30 miles.

This was the best pass I’ve seen since STS-123 (Endeavour) undocked and ATV-1 was trailing behind. At the time ISS and the shuttle were about equal in brightness and I couldn’t tell them apart. But this great string of three spacecraft went by in about a ten minute period.

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962

This image was so stunning!  Here's one from a similar point in the flyaround, captured from klausd's HD youtube video.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258

Offline Frandolf

• Germany
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 110
Thanks for the pictures of Discovery & Iss passing over last night. I am a bit sad since I had no chance to see and picture the pair myself again yesterday since I was not home at the time of the pass above Europe.

But farewell Discovery and see you in the museum!

Online Chris Bergin

From Toronto.

Nice one! That's Toronto FC's home stadium in MLS!

(Can't beat proper football ;))
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
From Toronto.

Nice one! That's Toronto FC's home stadium in MLS!

(Can't beat proper football ;))

Yeah it is. FC Dallas should have won the championship last season.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

As fate would have it, it was overcast here at the time of the pass...

but sure enough, a sucker hole opened up in the right spot and I saw Discovery trailed by ISS with about the same separation as discussed here (01:01UTC).  Awesome!
Hail Discovery, and Happy Landings!

I think they were closer than 10 degrees. To me it looked like seven moon-widths or 3.5 degrees. Call it 4 degrees. According to www.heavens-above.com they were 500 km or 300 miles from my location at closest approach.

So 300*tan(4) = (300)(.07) = 21 miles.

Also, ISS seemed about six seconds behind Discovery. At 5 miles per second that’s 30 miles.

So 20 to 30 miles.

This was the best pass I’ve seen since STS-123 (Endeavour) undocked and ATV-1 was trailing behind. At the time ISS and the shuttle were about equal in brightness and I couldn’t tell them apart. But this great string of three spacecraft went by in about a ten minute period.

Online Chris Bergin

BUMP for order realign, and LOCK in place
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography