Author Topic: Challenger STS 51-L – Part 1/4 Teacher in Space  (Read 113444 times)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Challenger STS 51-L – Part 1/4 Teacher in Space
« Reply #160 on: 03/02/2012 05:44 pm »

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #161 on: 03/02/2012 05:46 pm »

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #162 on: 03/02/2012 05:50 pm »
January 20: Temperature sensors taken off Columbia's main engines were flown aboard a T-38 to KSC on the 19th to be installed aboard Challenger, which is scheduled for launch on the 25th, Young said. Workers at KSC continued to prepare Challenger for its mission. If Columbia is brought back from California to KSC by the
23rd, and NASA makes its projected 41-day processing schedule, the shuttle will be ready March 4 for its scheduled March 6 flight, STS 61-E. It will mark the 26th shuttle launch. (Florida Today, Jan. 21, 1986)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #163 on: 03/02/2012 05:53 pm »
January 21: Poor weather conditions at an alternate shuttle landing site prompted plans for a possible delay of the Jan. 25 launch of Challenger, NASA officials said. NASA currently plans to launch Challenger and the first teacher-in-space at 4:21 p.m. on the 25th from the recently reactivated Launch Complex 39B. Unless a haze hanging over the alternate landing site at Dakar, Senegal, clears, Challenger's launch may be delayed until Jan. 26, said NASA spokeswoman Lisa Malone.

Volatile fuel used to maneuver in-orbit shuttles burned a Lockheed technician who was inspecting fuel storage areas near a Kennedy Space Center launch pad, officials said. Philip Hudgins, 26, received second-degree burns to his left forearm and first-degree burns to his face about 8:15 a.m. when he was sprayed by gaseous and liquid forms of hydrazine fuel, according to NASA. The Merritt Island man was reported in good condition at Jess Parrish Memorial Hospital (Titusville, FL).

Hudgins, who was working with three Grumman Technical Services employees, was removing a temperature probe from a fuel line near the base of Launch Complex 39A when the accident occurred, Lockheed Space Operations spokesman Stuart Shadbolt said. Shadbolt also said that Lockheed is conducting an investigation into the accident.

Following the accident, Hudgins was taken to a shower at the pad and sprayed with water to wash away the fuel. He was then taken in an ambulance to a KSC clinic where he was treated, NASA officials said. The fuel did not appear to damage Hudgins's eyes, but slightly burned his left eyelid, a hospital spokeswoman said. NASA spokesman Dick Young said he could not recall a similar accident at KSC. (Florida Today, Jan. 22, 1986)

January 22: A Lockheed employee burned with fuel used to power the shuttle was in "excellent" condition at Jess Parrish Memorial Hospital (Titusville, FL), a hospital spokeswoman said. Hospital officials did not know, however, when the employee - Philip Hudgins, 26, (Merritt Island, FL) - would be released.

Dust from the Sahara and an approaching cold front prompted a one-day delay in the launch of Challenger's 51-L mission, NASA officials said. Challenger's liftoff is now scheduled to occur at 9:36 a.m., Jan. 26, rather than Jan. 25 at 4:21 p.m., said NASA spokesman Dick Young. NASA's secondary emergency landing site in Spain can't be used because Challenger, loaded with a full crew and a 2 1/2-ton tracking and data relay satellite, is too heavy to go that far north after launch, said NASA spokesman George Diller.

That leaves the Mohammed V Airport at Casablanca, Morocco, as the next available landing site, Diller said. That site, however, is not certified for night shuttle landings, which would be the case if Challenger were launched in the afternoon. The Jan. 26 morning launch would enable a daylight landing.

In addition to the landing site problem, weather forecasters are predicting a cold front will move through the Space Coast on the 25th. While the cold front - forecast to bring rain - is expected to persist through the weekend, the forecast is better on Sunday than Saturday (25th). The launch delay caused a subsequent delay in the arrival of Challenger's crew at KSC; the seven crew members are now expected to arrive at 4 p.m., six hours after the flight's countdown began at 10:00. Columbia is also expected to arrive at 1:35 p.m., Jan. 23. (Florida Today, Jan. 23, 1986)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #164 on: 03/02/2012 05:55 pm »
„I’m not sure how I’m going to feel sitting there waiting for takeoff and those Solid Rocket Boosters ignite underneath me and everything starts to shake. It’s kind of like the first time you go on a carnival ride. You’ve said, ‘I’ve got enough courage,’ and you’re really excited about doing this and conquering your fears. The training is not physically rigorous. Mentally, it is. You learn things so that you can understand the shuttle. But it’s not like I have to figure out how it was put together.

The crew is unbelievable. Very professional. Very concerned about how I am fitting in with them, trying to make me part of the team. I’m amazed when you sit there and listen to them. Judy Resnik, for example, has a doctorate in electrical engineering. It’s mind-boggling that she knows all these circuits and can figure all of this out.

Not only will I be teaching my lessons and doing activities, but I’m also helping. It’s going to be fun.

I’ve talked with my kids about seeing the launch – some astronauts’ kids have had bad reactions. I think they’ll be okay. Caroline is six and Scott is nine. They are a little bit more aware of rockets and how they behave. Caroline doesn’t like loud noise, so I told her it can be loud and that bothers her.

I was delighted that a teacher was chosen as the first space participant because there are so many of us who have daily contact with people. To think that teachers are finally recognized as the good communicators they are.

I’m hoping that everybody out there who decides to go for it – the journalist in space, the poet in space – whatever the other categories, that you push yourself to get the application in. I’m hoping there are going to be more people down the road who are going to apply for it. When you think of the future, there are going to be more people going into space, and they are going to be the kids who are in our classrooms. It’s a wonderful thought.”

(Christa McAuliffe – Teacher in Space – Prelaunch Interview for USA Today, 1986)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #165 on: 03/02/2012 05:58 pm »
To be continued in part 2/4 – Major Malfunction

FYI – Chris has notified me that he will move all of my Space Shuttle presentations from “Historical Spaceflight” to the new "Shuttle History - Pre-RTF" section this weekend. Now we’ll have a special history section for the shuttle – I think that’s really a good idea.

So, I’ll see you there soon…

:)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=52.0
« Last Edit: 03/02/2012 06:00 pm by Ares67 »

Offline TALsite

• Spain
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #166 on: 03/05/2012 07:08 pm »
To be continued in part 2/4 – Major Malfunction

FYI – Chris has notified me that he will move all of my Space Shuttle presentations from “Historical Spaceflight” to the new "Shuttle History - Pre-RTF" section this weekend. Now we’ll have a special history section for the shuttle – I think that’s really a good idea.

So, I’ll see you there soon…

:)

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=52.0

WOW!! A great introduction to the flight.  Thanks and congratulations :)

Offline Ares67

• Oliver
  • Remscheid, Germany
« Reply #167 on: 01/26/2013 11:29 pm »
Remember the Challenger Seven – 2013

„Missions keep going up every month, but the teacher in space is unique. You’re the reason we’ll be remembered.”

51-L Commander Francis Scobee, talking to Christa McAuliffe

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #168 on: 01/28/2014 12:57 pm »
Bump for obvious reason.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
« Reply #169 on: 01/28/2014 04:45 pm »
Super Bowl XXX National Anthem and Flyby

[youtube]99AevT-gH7w[/youtube]

And the story behind it. January 28, 1996. "At Super Bowl's High Point, a Son Will Recall His Father" http://articles.latimes.com/1996-01-24/news/mn-28157_1_super-bowl

« Last Edit: 01/28/2014 04:50 pm by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #170 on: 01/28/2014 05:47 pm »
Crew Picture
Paul

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman