Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX: Falcon Heavy Thread - April 5 announcement  (Read 253658 times)

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 1715
  • Likes Given: 374
Re: SpaceX: Falcon Heavy Thread
« Reply #20 on: 03/31/2011 06:38 PM »
I think it'll simply be a formal announcement of actually going ahead with the vehicle, i.e. not keeping it at some vague paper stage any more.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1442
  • Likes Given: 4499
« Reply #21 on: 03/31/2011 06:59 PM »
I think CONAE could do a dual payload mission on a Heavy, and a cheap price would probably get them onboard. But I have no information whatsoever regarding that and is pure speculation.

Online Dave G

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 1119
« Reply #22 on: 03/31/2011 07:26 PM »
I think CONAE could do a dual payload mission on a Heavy, and a cheap price would probably get them onboard. But I have no information whatsoever regarding that and is pure speculation.

SpaceX president Gwynne Shotwell talked about Falcon Heavy dual payload back in April.
 http://www.thespaceshow.com/detail.asp?q=1348
(starting around 33:15 into the program).

I'm assuming she wouldn't have mentioned it unless SpaceX had at least one potential customer that was interested.

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #23 on: 03/31/2011 07:38 PM »
Quite well done promo video. Here's looking forward to the 5th.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 04/01/2011 05:34 PM »
*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***

SpaceX: Something Big Is Coming

Elon Musk to Hold Press Conference in Washington Tuesday

WASHINGTON – Elon Musk, CEO and Chief Technology Officer of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), will hold a press conference on Tuesday, April 5th at the National Press Club in Washington to discuss his company’s latest venture.

Get a sneak peak on YouTube:

EVENT:                                 SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to Talk About the Next Big Thing

TIME:                    11:20 AM

DATE:                    Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor, Washington, DC 20045

Can’t make it in person?

The press conference will be webcast live at: http://www.visualwebcaster.com/spacex

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #25 on: 04/01/2011 05:48 PM »
Very exciting. I hope someone puts it on YouTube.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2011 05:49 PM by Jason1701 »

Online Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 277
« Reply #26 on: 04/01/2011 05:49 PM »
*** MEDIA ADVISORY ***

SpaceX: Something Big Is Coming

Elon Musk to Hold Press Conference in Washington Tuesday

WASHINGTON – Elon Musk, CEO and Chief Technology Officer of Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), will hold a press conference on Tuesday, April 5th at the National Press Club in Washington to discuss his company’s latest venture.

EVENT:                                 SpaceX CEO Elon Musk to Talk About the Next Big Thing

TIME:                    11:20 AM

DATE:                    Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

529 14th St. NW, 13th Floor, Washington, DC 20045

Can’t make it in person?

The press conference will be webcast live at: http://www.visualwebcaster.com/spacex

Looking at the end of the video,  the announcement has something to do with Falcon 9 Heavy
« Last Edit: 04/01/2011 05:53 PM by Ronsmytheiii »
"Every vision is a joke until the first man accomplishes it; once realized, it becomes commonplace." - Robert Goddard

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #27 on: 04/01/2011 07:44 PM »
I'm really glad this video didn't come out a day later, or it might not have been real!

Online Comga

• Liked: 1411
  • Likes Given: 1164
« Reply #28 on: 04/01/2011 08:04 PM »
I'm really glad this video didn't come out a day later, or it might not have been real!

Maybe it was released from Kwajalein, where it was already April 1.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline MP99

« Reply #29 on: 04/02/2011 11:06 AM »
Looking at the end of the video,  the announcement has something to do with Falcon 9 Heavy

"Falcon Heavy". No "9" any more.

cheers, Martin

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #30 on: 04/02/2011 04:11 PM »
I suspect that they will drop the Falcon 9 title as well and just go with Falcon eventually. Especially if they drop Falcon 1e and switch to Merlin 2 engines for Falcon 9.

Offline zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #31 on: 04/03/2011 06:27 AM »
What do we think about that picture of the FH outline recovered from the teaser video and looking like the 1st stage is noticeably longer than the existing F9 (spacexmystery.gif)?
« Last Edit: 04/03/2011 06:32 AM by zaitcev »

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #32 on: 04/03/2011 09:18 AM »
What do we think about that picture of the FH outline recovered from the teaser video and looking like the 1st stage is noticeably longer than the existing F9 (spacexmystery.gif)?

Where can I see this picture?
Need to see it before starting to think.  ;)
But it should be possible to have a longer 1st stage due to better T/W at liftoff.

Online ugordan

« Reply #33 on: 04/03/2011 10:19 AM »

It may look longer, but if you actually scale and overlay the image on the FH page over that one, you can see they match up almost precisely. I think it's just an optical illusion - a black silhouette showing no boundaries between nosecones, interstages and engine sections, etc.

In any case their VTS3 test stand support tower doesn't appear to support a taller stage right now. Needing it for F9 stage acceptance firings right now for extended periods of time I don't see them messing with that any time soon.

Offline arnezami

• Liked: 262
  • Likes Given: 345
« Reply #34 on: 04/03/2011 10:48 AM »
Comparison of a quickly stiched together picture (multiple screenshots from the video) and the FH pic from the website:

So yes. Its the same. (ratio in pictures was kept btw)
« Last Edit: 04/03/2011 10:50 AM by arnezami »

Online ugordan

« Reply #35 on: 04/03/2011 11:32 AM »
But it should be possible to have a longer 1st stage due to better T/W at liftoff.

27 is a *lot* of engines. I'm thinking their approach from the start would be to baseline sufficient T/W at liftoff even if 1 engine dies right away (worst case that's basically 2 engines out if it happens to one of the strapons). That would preclude really stretching the stages and maxing out the propellant load.

Acceleration wise, think more of a Titan IV lifting off, not Delta IV Heavy. I could be completely off the mark, though.

Online jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #36 on: 04/03/2011 12:50 PM »
Did a quick search and didn't see an answer to this...Any ideas on altitude of/velocity of FH strap ons when they are "jettisoned?  they should have a higher chance of success of recovery shouldn't they?
jb

Online douglas100

• Liked: 221
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #37 on: 04/03/2011 12:59 PM »
Is it certain that the strap ons will be jettisoned? Or will the three cores operate together as a single stage like Rus M? (Of course the cores might be separated after staging to allow for single recovery if this proves worthwhile.)
Douglas Clark

Online jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #38 on: 04/03/2011 01:13 PM »
Is it certain that the strap ons will be jettisoned? Or will the three cores operate together as a single stage like Rus M?
mmm..I always visualized the strap ons burning at a slightly higher thrust then the core ..(not too much dues to stresses) then they fall off and core burns then the usual staging..but that adds complexity..so maybe it will act as single stage...but I'm assuming the cores are recoverable...I hope on  tuesday they get specific and not.."The Airforce is giving us a $100 M to launch a FH demonstrator, thank you..and good night..."  they better have some fancy videos ;)
jb

Online mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #39 on: 04/03/2011 02:03 PM »
Is it certain that the strap ons will be jettisoned? Or will the three cores operate together as a single stage like Rus M?
mmm..I always visualized the strap ons burning at a slightly higher thrust then the core ..(not too much dues to stresses) then they fall off and core burns then the usual staging..but that adds complexity..so maybe it will act as single stage...but I'm assuming the cores are recoverable...I hope on  tuesday they get specific and not.."The Airforce is giving us a $100 M to launch a FH demonstrator, thank you..and good night..."  they better have some fancy videos ;)
jb

Wel i think it would be that, however you never know they might have something in the background like a FH look alike, you know a couple of F9's laid out to look like a FH

Tags: SpaceX