Author Topic: Planetary Resources Announces World’s First Crowdfunded Space Telescope Campaign  (Read 48613 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
I think I pledged "more" one time so far in all the kickstarters I've been in on.[1] ... a small sample set to be sure but indicative, I expect.

So yes, the average pledge amounts at each breakpoint will probably be very very close to that breakpoint

1 - this one, because it had addons that I wanted. 
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brickmania/brickmania-track-links-custom-add-on-for-the-lego
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
The break at $2500 reveals the bimodal distribution. What I could trust to be grassroots public support would be (Sum contributions < $2500) / (Sum backers < $2500) = (832,853 - 19*10000 - 5*5000 - 5*5000) / (9180 - 19 - 5 - 5) = 592853 / 9151 = $64.78 per grassroots backer. Using a MacBook calculator, something must be wrong of course in that figure.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10994
Spectra, it has been around that, give or take pennies, for at least a week now.

I just did this calculation. Donations from 1000 up, 68 backers, 289300, for average of 4254.41 each. Below 1000, 9123 backers 543982, for average of 59.63 each.

00.74% pledged 34.72% and 99.26% pledged 65.28%.
Looks like the ninety-niners are doing ok ;D

Cheers,

Gramps
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1458134548/arkyd-a-space-telescope-for-everyone-0/

This tells me it's $91 per backer.

Oooo.  That's significantly different from the figure I got.

According to my HP 12c, 750,095/8,171 equals $91.80 per backer, assuming a straight line distrubution.

Is there a different distribution curve which the site would reveal?
« Last Edit: 06/09/2013 11:17 pm by JohnFornaro »
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
You were more accurate John.

Obviously kicktraq rounds down.

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
You were more accurate John.

Obviously kicktraq rounds down.

Actually, John is an inveterate teaser.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Warren Platts

There has been at least a quarter of a million donated by a very small handful of people. I think "Blackstar" may be correct up to a point...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline neilh

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 149
There has been at least a quarter of a million donated by a very small handful of people. I think "Blackstar" may be correct up to a point...

Is the distribution significantly different from any other high-profile Kickstarter?
Someone is wrong on the Internet.
http://xkcd.com/386/

Offline Warren Platts

You mean like when someone wants to design a new video game?
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1458134548/arkyd-a-space-telescope-for-everyone-0/

If there is a potential to raise twice as much as requested would they go as far as building a second telescope?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

If there is a potential to raise twice as much as requested would they go as far as building a second telescope?

Let's just hit the mark to build one, then we'll see how accurate that 'trend line' is  ;)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Kicktraq trending tracker hasnt been very accurate here. The "trending towards" ( which probably just does curve approximation ? ) is ticking down every day.

Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
Kicktraq trending tracker hasnt been very accurate here. The "trending towards" ( which probably just does curve approximation ? ) is ticking down every day.

Which makes since, Most Kickstarters get large amounts of press and contributions when they are first announced, then it trails off.

For them to reach the goal at this point they need around $8k a day though to the end (Which was what the contribution level fell to yesterday), but they have yet to have a major secondary bump.

Honestly they REALLY need to get on Fox/CNN/MSNBC/BBC/RT/Aljazera/CCTV to make their case, at the very least to get a second bump.

It honestly shocks me that they don't seem to have weekly media bumps planned out.
« Last Edit: 06/11/2013 03:08 pm by SpacexULA »
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Here's your bump...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1458134548/arkyd-a-space-telescope-for-everyone-0/posts/506461

The Kickstarter campaign for the Arkyd-100 space telescope from Planetary resources has raised over $850K in just 13 days. Their original goal has been set at $1M, but due to the better-than-expected response, Planetary Resources has announced that if fund-raising reaches $2M before the remaining 19 days are up, then they will spend the extra money raised on upgrading the telescope to detect exo-planets, a la Kepler.

So do your part, and help them over the top!

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Okay, I just pledged $10
Who's next?

Spread the word!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
That's one heck of a bump, good on them for that.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086

Personally I'd rather they worked on asteroids. Exoplanets are fun, and basic research into planetary formation is important stuff. But asteroids are

a) an existential threat
2. a treasure trove of useful resources

Sure, this is a valid use. But still...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Warren Platts

There's always Earth surveillance services. Really, the NSA, NRO, CIA, DIA, ETC all oughtta be financing this thing. That's the dream, right? 24 hour satellite coverage of every square inch of the Earth. No more timing things to get under cover to avoid the predictable spy sat....

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31

Personally I'd rather they worked on asteroids. Exoplanets are fun, and basic research into planetary formation is important stuff. But asteroids are

a) an existential threat
2. a treasure trove of useful resources

Sure, this is a valid use. But still...
Agree for the 1st or first few telescopes they should stick to NEA's.
Other upgrades should be on later models. They could have a crowd funding for Exoplanet searching telescopes later on after they can shown the first one works for NEA's.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography