Author Topic: Antares - Cygnus OA-5 - October 17, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 73705 times)

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 139
Re: Antares - Cygnus OA-5 - October 17, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #180 on: 10/18/2016 06:19 PM »
2016-062A and B have to be Cygnus and its upper stage.  Might be able to see it on Stellarium but I'm not home now to try.

Offline DecoLV

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #181 on: 10/18/2016 08:41 PM »
It was really neat to see it liftoff without burning into a catastrophic conflagration this time.

Online SkipMorrow

« Reply #182 on: 10/18/2016 10:26 PM »
2016-062A and B have to be Cygnus and its upper stage.  Might be able to see it on Stellarium but I'm not home now to try.

Good call using stellarium. How can I tell which is the upper stage and which is Cygnus? Anyway, I did find both 062A & B, and they both rise around 1948, so we won't see them together.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: 10/18/2016 11:53 PM »
My guess is that the lower one is the stage.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: 10/19/2016 12:01 AM »
41818 and 41819 on heavens-above.com

Offline ww2planes1

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #185 on: 10/19/2016 12:53 AM »
Did the flame tail look more red to anyone else?  I was watching and I felt the engines were much more red/orange than usual for an LOX/RP1 rocket, and other people I've talked to who saw it from around the DC area said it looked very red. 

I believe the engines are supposed to be throttled back for launch, would that affect the color of the flame tail?

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #186 on: 10/19/2016 01:12 AM »
Did the flame tail look more red to anyone else?  I was watching and I felt the engines were much more red/orange than usual for an LOX/RP1 rocket, and other people I've talked to who saw it from around the DC area said it looked very red. 

I believe the engines are supposed to be throttled back for launch, would that affect the color of the flame tail?

I guess it depends upon the optical sensor you employed at the time  ;)

https://twitter.com/WeReportSpace/status/788384186864398340

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: 10/19/2016 02:29 AM »
41818 and 41819 on heavens-above.com

I saw ISS and both objects.  The lead object was far, far brighter than the trailing object.  I'm guessing Cygnus would be way brighter than the stage so I would guess the lead object was Cygnus.  I took pictures with sufficient resolving power to see Saturn's rings, but neither object was identifiable.  Obviously, ISS was quite easy to identify.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2016 03:43 AM by Lee Jay »

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #188 on: 10/20/2016 12:10 AM »
The ISS is flying over Jacksonville tomorrow evening at 7:17pm EDT, but Cygnus may already be docked by then! I will take a look.
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #189 on: 10/20/2016 12:15 AM »
The ISS is flying over Jacksonville tomorrow evening at 7:17pm EDT, but Cygnus may already be docked by then! I will take a look.
Cygnus capture and berthing isn't until Sunday. It has to loiter in a parking orbit until the Soyuz MS-02 has docked.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 648
« Reply #190 on: 10/31/2016 03:06 PM »
Did anyone catch the two objects before capture?
Paul

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 195
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #191 on: 11/08/2016 08:26 PM »
From the OA non-earnings conference call today:
More recently in mid-October, the company successfully launched our first re-engined Antares rocket for the OA V commercial resupply services mission to the international space station for NASA. The Antares performance was flawless with actual payload capacity somewhat higher than predicted.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4021177-orbital-atks-oa-ceo-dave-thompson-q3-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript

Online Comga

• Liked: 1358
  • Likes Given: 1105
« Reply #192 on: 11/20/2016 08:14 PM »
Does anyone have the details on the post-separation flight plan?
My understanding was that the nanosats were to be released at 445 km altitude.
When will the orbit be raised?
Will the SAFIRE experiment be done before or after raising the orbit?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline sdsds

• "With peace and hope for all mankind."
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 577
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #193 on: 11/21/2016 05:22 AM »
Chris Gebhardt has some details on the post-undocking plan in his recently published article.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/11/cygnus-oa-5-station-one-month-mission/
-- sdsds --

Online Comga

« Reply #194 on: 11/21/2016 05:39 AM »
Chris Gebhardt has some details on the post-undocking plan in his recently published article.
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/11/cygnus-oa-5-station-one-month-mission/

But he does not mention any raising of the orbit.

The Nanoracks announcement says: "We anticipate Cygnus going into a higher orbit, pending nominal operations, that will enable the deployment of several CubeSats from the NanoRacks Cygnus External Deployer."

but when will this orbit raising occur and will it be to 445 km, which is about 39 km above the current altitude of the ISS?

Some simple calculations suggest that when the nanosats' orbits decay back to the altitude of the ISS in a couple of years there will be some pretty interesting dynamics.  That will be very interesting to watch.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 6227
  • Likes Given: 4166
« Reply #195 on: 11/22/2016 12:55 AM »
Orbital ATK's OA-5 Mission Begins Next Phase, Performing Experiments in Space 

The “S.S. Alan Poindexter” Cygnus Departs International Space Station After Another Successful Delivery and Removal of Critical Cargo

Next Phase of Mission Marks Second Time Cygnus Used as a Science Platform

Dulles, Virginia 21 November 2016 – Orbital ATK (NYSE: OA), a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies, today announced that its Cygnus™ spacecraft successfully unberthed from the International Space Station, starting the second phase of its mission before it reenters Earth’s atmosphere. Orbiting on its own, free of the ISS, the “S.S. Alan Poindexter” Cygnus will conduct two secondary mission objectives as part of its flight program: the Saffire-II payload experiment and the deployment of CubeSats to enhance weather forecasting capabilities. This is the second time Orbital ATK will use a Cygnus spacecraft as a platform for conducting science experiments in space.

“Cygnus had a successful, month-long stay at the International Space Station, delivering critical cargo to the astronauts,” said Frank Culbertson, President of Orbital ATK’s Space Systems Group. “Now, we get another opportunity to showcase this unique spacecraft’s expanded capabilities beyond its core cargo delivery function. To use Cygnus yet again as a research platform demonstrates a versatility and flexibility that we are proud to offer to our customers.”

Cygnus departed from the International Space Station at 8:22 a.m. EST on November 21, completing a 29 day stay at the orbiting laboratory. The mission, known as OA-5, began on October 17, 2016 when Cygnus launched aboard an upgraded Antares rocket from NASA Wallops Flight Facility, marking Orbital ATK’s return to flight operations in eastern Virginia.  Upon arrival at the station, Cygnus delivered 5,300 pounds (2,400 kilograms) of cargo and science experiments to the astronauts. The Expedition 50 crew members loaded the cargo module with approximately 2,469 pounds (1,120 kilograms) of items for disposal prior to Cygnus’ departure.

The Spacecraft Fire Experiment-II (Saffire-II), which was developed at NASA’s Glenn Research Center and funded by NASA’s Advanced Exploration Systems Division, is the second in a series of tests to study the behavior of large-scale fires in microgravity. Orbital ATK engineers will remotely conduct this experiment from the ground once Cygnus departs the International Space Station. The experiment will intentionally ignite nine different experimental material samples to help investigators better understand flammability of these materials in a microgravity environment. All data obtained from this experiment will be downloaded via telemetry.

Next, the “S.S. Alan Poindexter” will use a NanoRacks deployer to place several CubeSats into orbit to conduct meteorological research. The OA-5 mission is slated to end on November 27 when Cygnus is scheduled for a safe, destructive reentry into Earth’s atmosphere.

Question for those that might have an idea... The Saffire experiment is being carried out several days before the cubesat release. Is there no risk to the systems on the spacecraft that are responsible for cubesat deployment from the fire? I know it's controlled but zero chance? Or was the risk considered acceptable? I seem to recall that last time the fire was started pretty close to the time of deorbit...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline cmcqueen

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #196 on: 11/22/2016 01:46 AM »
The Nanoracks announcement says: "We anticipate Cygnus going into a higher orbit, pending nominal operations, that will enable the deployment of several CubeSats from the NanoRacks Cygnus External Deployer."

but when will this orbit raising occur and will it be to 445 km, which is about 39 km above the current altitude of the ISS?

Some simple calculations suggest that when the nanosats' orbits decay back to the altitude of the ISS in a couple of years there will be some pretty interesting dynamics.  That will be very interesting to watch.

If the orbit is 39 km above ISS, maybe that would be enough for the nanosats to have orbital precession at a different rate than the ISS, so they will no longer be in the same orbital plane in a few years.

Online Comga

« Reply #197 on: 11/22/2016 05:01 AM »

If the orbit is 39 km above ISS, maybe that would be enough for the nanosats to have orbital precession at a different rate than the ISS, so they will no longer be in the same orbital plane in a few years.

As I said, simple calculations.
The result was many degrees per year.

According to N2Y0, Cygnus (Perigee: 413.5 km Apogee: 422.7 km ) is about 5 km higher than the ISS (Perigee: 408.9 km Apogee: 417.3 km) on average.  ...  Have to keep watch until Friday.
« Last Edit: 11/22/2016 05:05 AM by Comga »

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 180
« Reply #198 on: 11/22/2016 03:26 PM »
https://blogs.nasa.gov/stationreport/2016/11/
The NanoRacks CubeSat Deployer – External (NRCSD-E) deploy is planned November 25, at which time the Cygnus will be 100 km above the ISS, this will be the the first time NRCSDs deploy above the ISS. A total of 4 LEMUR-2 satellites will deploy from the Cygnus vehicle.  The NanoRacks-LEMUR-2 satellites are part of a remote sensing satellite constellation that proves global ship tracking and weather monitoring.

Online Comga

« Reply #199 on: 11/23/2016 05:10 PM »
Cygnuss remains in a 413.6 km Perigee, 422.5 km Apogee orbit about 5 km above the ISS. (Perigee: 408.8 km, Apogee: 417.3 km)

If the nanosats are released in this orbit, simple orbital calculations, with a SWAG on orbital decay due to atmospheric drag, and assuming the station's altitude is maintained often, says they will decay to the altitude of the ISS in a bit under a half year. At this point they will be almost halfway around the orbit.  Their relative lateral motion, due to the precession of the orbit, will be a bit under 100 meters per second.

It would make sense if NASA limited the pre-deployment  orbit raising of Cygnus to just this 5 km.

By the time the nanosats catch back up to the ISS, around a year out, the orbits should have precessed back into alignment, with the nanosats averaging about a mirror-image 5 km below the ISS.  They should trace out tall lazy ellipses, once per orbit.  These ellipses may be tall enough to cross the altitude of the ISS.  If no DAM is performed, it might be possible for the astronauts to spot them from the cupola as they approach from the anti-velocity direction and move out ahead.

Tags: