Author Topic: NASA's Strategic Communications Framework Implementation Plan  (Read 3130 times)

Online Chris Bergin

We have kindly been handed an advanced copy of this presentation. I've not seen it on any other site (just looked) but it will be officially released tomorrow.

Skipped through it and there's certainly some encouraging and positive moves being implemented in here...and that's always a good thing!!

Enjoy....
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
First thing that pokes out is the claim the main NASA interest demographic is from the Apollo age?

Online Chris Bergin

Martin FL - 25/6/2007  3:30 PM

First thing that pokes out is the claim the main NASA interest demographic is from the Apollo age?

That also was of interest to me. Maybe it pretty much is the case. We know it isn't on this site...but NASA interest as a whole is not based on this site.

Anyway, keep reading. There's a lot of interesting things in this...key points need to be layed out into here as I will do also.

Deserves an article for sure.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
"communications.nasa.gov." is that where the e-mail contacts to NASA is where no one ever responds. I remember we had a thread about this somewhere and out of 10 people, 1 got a response.

Online Chris Bergin

Might be an idea to move through the 'reasons' created by that advisory group, as they've only seemed to have randomly phoned 100 people for the results on some of the polls...with a 1000 on the others. That's proably why it seems convoluted and alien to some of us.

Their findings to correct public apathy (and let's face it, there is a fair amount of that), are the interesting elements.

Online Chris Bergin

This looks bang on...

Offline Do Shuttles Dream

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
New Media: NASA Web 2.0 Redesign
• Dynamic content
• Customization (user-generated or server-defined)
• Most-popular searches
• Most-popular pages
• Social bookmarks (del.icio.us, Digg, etc.)
• NASATube, NASApedia external release
• Internal release in July; NASA users populate
• Governance process and staffing identified required
• Downloads from NASATube have to be monitored for affect on bandwidth usage
• Allowing public to comment or tag NASA content, accepting usercreated
content
• “Users who liked this also liked . . .”
• Mashups of content outside www.nasa.

Mashups of content outside NASA.gov?

Youtube and Wikipedia both have bad names, so they'll need to be careful there, but I suppose it at least goes after the negative people.

Online Chris Bergin

I've set up a snapshot poll on ages who visit the forum on this site.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8555&posts=1&mid=155692#M155692

Online Chris Bergin

Slide 65 is interesting:

Media
• Use news coverage to track and measure quality/tone of coverage

That could be excellent if used correctly.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
I imagine the NASA web2.0 apps (nasatube etc) are meant tobe an easy way for employees to get video and data out into the public domain without having to constantly update mission websites and hope they get mentioned on the nasa.gov homepage. It would be nice if some of the great material in the NASA archive is released this way, especially some of the Frassanito animations of mars missions and advanced technology.

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 10
I wonder what measures would have to be implemented to prevent ITAR violations.

Offline AnimatorRob

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 21
bobthemonkey - 25/6/2007  4:11 PM

It would be nice if some of the great material in the NASA archive is released this way, especially some of the Frassanito animations of mars missions and advanced technology.

God, I wish I could spend all day animating spacecraft. Sigh.....

Offline PhalanxTX

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
This reminds me of the episode of Dennis Miller's show on HBO where he had Tom Hanks as a guest.  His opening rant was all about how irrelevant the space program was.  Hanks walked in, to much applause, and dropped - with a resounding thud - a ream of printouts of all of the technology developed for the space program and then used to improve life here on Earth.  He then proceeded to rip Miller's rant to shreds.  If NASA went to Hanks and asked him to be an "ambassador for exploration," I bet he'd be all over it and we'd really see space in the public eye.
"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program, and if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!"

-- Larry Niven, quoted by Arthur Clarke in interview at Space.com, 2001

One Percent for Space!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography