Author Topic: Stranded in LEO?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Stranded in LEO?
« on: 05/29/2011 03:10 am »
Have anybody ever gotten stranded (temporarily) in LEO? As in, did the Russians ever got stuck in one of their stations and had to send replacement Soyuz? (I recently read somebody make a reference to this but I'd never heard of that before)

How about close calls? I know the Soyuz TM-5 almost jettisoned the service module while still on orbit. Phew.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Stranded in LEO?
« Reply #1 on: 05/29/2011 04:11 am »
Have anybody ever gotten stranded (temporarily) in LEO? As in, did the Russians ever got stuck in one of their stations and had to send replacement Soyuz? (I recently read somebody make a reference to this but I'd never heard of that before)

How about close calls? I know the Soyuz TM-5 almost jettisoned the service module while still on orbit. Phew.

The Soyuz 32-33-34 story was dicey, too.
JRF

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
« Reply #2 on: 05/29/2011 05:45 am »
Turns out this list by JimO is pretty good:

http://www.jamesoberg.com/soyuz.html

Offline NotGncDude

• Veteran
  • V
« Reply #3 on: 05/29/2011 05:49 am »
LOL!

12. Soyuz-10 undocking. 1971 Apr 23. Probe/cone mechanism failed during docking with Salyut-1. Undocking command failed, probe was jammed. Crew jumped back and forth inside Soyuz to shake jam loose.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #4 on: 05/29/2011 07:48 am »

Well, Soyuz 33 was dicey.   The Soyuz 32 crew on board Salyut 6 were safe enough.   Simply meant that after some design tweaking the Hungarian mission was delayed a year from S34 to S36, and S34 flew unmanned to Salyut.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7827
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: 05/29/2011 03:32 pm »
One to look into is the Gagarin flight.  The plan was to put him in a 10-day orbit so that if anything went wrong it would degrade and he could make it back alive.  But he ended up in a 30-day orbit, so if anything had gone wrong he would have died in orbit.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #6 on: 05/29/2011 06:53 pm »

Well, Soyuz 33 was dicey.   The Soyuz 32 crew on board Salyut 6 were safe enough.

Unless something went wrong between the loss of 33 and the arrival of 34. That's a period of two months where the Salyut crew did not have a reliable ride home. (Soyuz 32 did a successful unmanned landing, but they weren't counting on it).
JRF

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #7 on: 05/30/2011 08:20 am »
I would also include Gemini 8 as a chance that a crew could have been stranded in LEO.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography