Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 501 - X-37B OTV-3 - Dec 11, 2012  (Read 183670 times)

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Atlas V 501 - X-37B OTV-3 - NET Dec. 11, 2012
« Reply #60 on: 12/07/2012 03:40 pm »
Since there are dates waiting for range approval, does that mean a root cause on the low thrust has been determined?  Have the details been released?  Because an accident board was convened, they probably will/should be.

An accident board was not convened; an anomaly investigation team was. Don't expect to see much detail emerge from this investigation.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #61 on: 12/07/2012 05:11 pm »
Range Approval for date 11 December 2012 appears to have gone through as Launch is no longer listed as pending approval on ULA website.

This is the date Spaceflight Now are now reporting as well.

http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av034/status.html

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #62 on: 12/07/2012 06:48 pm »
Time to remove the "NET" from the thread title! On ULA's launch page (http://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/Launch.shtml#/33/) they have reported that the Launch Readiness Review has been completed, clearing the way for launch on December 11 at 1:03 pm EST (18:03 UTC)!
« Last Edit: 12/07/2012 06:54 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Atlas V 501 - X-37B OTV-3 - Dec 11, 2012
« Reply #63 on: 12/07/2012 08:52 pm »

United Launch Alliance Clears X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle for

Dec. 11 Launch

Centennial, Colo., (Dec. 7, 2012) – Today, United Launch Alliance (ULA) cleared the next launch of the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle (OTV) for Dec. 11, after a thorough flight clearance process was executed following a flight data anomaly that occurred on the Global Positioning System (GPS) IIF-3 launch on Oct. 4.

"Although the GPS mission was successful and the satellite was delivered to a precise orbit, ULA and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne (PWR) are executing an extremely robust investigation into the cause of the reduced engine performance on the recent Delta IV mission,” said Jim Sponnick, ULA vice president, Mission Operations. “Our 50-year heritage of launch experience and decades of launch data have enabled the robust investigation processes we perform for any flight conditions that differ from our nominal predictions, in order to continue the critical focus on mission success that our customers demand.”         

The ULA investigation has concluded that a fuel leak occurred in a specific area of the interior of the thrust chamber, and that this leak started during the first engine start sequence.  Although the investigation into the flight data anomaly continues, all credible crossover implications from the Delta anomaly for the OTV-3 Atlas vehicle and engine system have been thoroughly addressed and mitigated, culminating in the flight clearance decision for the OTV-3 launch.

“Our flight data anomaly investigation includes substantial involvement and oversight from senior industry technical advisors, as well as our Air Force OTV customer, Air Force EELV customer, and NASA customers,” said Sponnick. “We thank the OTV customer for their patience and participation throughout the flight clearance process for this important mission.”

Following the OTV-3 launch, ULA’s next launch is the TDRS-K mission for NASA, which is planned for Jan. 29, 2013.         

ULA program management, engineering, test, and mission support functions are headquartered in Denver, Colo.  Manufacturing, assembly and integration operations are located at Decatur, Ala., and Harlingen, Texas. Launch operations are located at Cape Canaveral AFS, Fla., and Vandenberg AFB, Calif.

For more information on ULA, visit the ULA Web site at www.ulalaunch.com, or call the ULA Launch Hotline at 1-877-ULA-4321 (852-4321). Join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch and twitter.com/ulalaunch.

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #64 on: 12/07/2012 10:07 pm »
Since there are dates waiting for range approval, does that mean a root cause on the low thrust has been determined?  Have the details been released?  Because an accident board was convened, they probably will/should be.

An accident board was not convened; an anomaly investigation team was. Don't expect to see much detail emerge from this investigation.

An AIB was, in fact, convened by the AF Space Command Commander, Gen Shelton.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123321945
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #65 on: 12/07/2012 10:22 pm »
Good linkage! I think I'll write something up :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kim Keller

• Not OldSpace, Not NewSpace - I'm ALLSpace
  • Liked: 2419
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #66 on: 12/07/2012 11:37 pm »

I stand corrected, and very surprised. Still, I wouldn't expect too much detail when the findings are released.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #67 on: 12/07/2012 11:50 pm »

I stand corrected, and very surprised. Still, I wouldn't expect too much detail when the findings are released.

You might be surprised.  For those who have not seen one, I suggest the 28 Mar 12 F-15E report available here to see how detailed they can--and are required to be--by AF instructions.

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/indexFY12.html
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #68 on: 12/08/2012 02:43 am »
Bit later than planned due to having to rescue a drunk friend who managed to get lost in what is the city he's lived in all his life, yet still remembered my phone number (don't reply to that or we'll go way off topic ;))

But put something together:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/12/atlas-v-green-light-rl-10-exonerated-delta-iv-review/

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #69 on: 12/08/2012 02:58 am »
Bit later than planned due to having to rescue a drunk friend who managed to get lost in what is the city he's lived in all his life, yet still remembered my phone number (don't reply to that or we'll go way off topic ;) )

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/12/atlas-v-green-light-rl-10-exonerated-delta-iv-review/

Great article.  I am left with a question.

Are the RL10 versions the same between the mentioned Atlas and Delta versions?  The commonality reference seems to imply they are different.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #70 on: 12/08/2012 03:06 am »

You might be surprised.  For those who have not seen one, I suggest the 28 Mar 12 F-15E report available here to see how detailed they can--and are required to be--by AF instructions.

There are ITAR and propriety implications that will limit the detail in the public report

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #71 on: 12/08/2012 03:07 am »
Bit later than planned due to having to rescue a drunk friend who managed to get lost in what is the city he's lived in all his life, yet still remembered my phone number (don't reply to that or we'll go way off topic ;) )

Are the RL10 versions the same between the mentioned Atlas and Delta versions?  The commonality reference seems to imply they are different.

Different

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #72 on: 12/08/2012 03:02 pm »

Atlas-V/Centaur currently uses: RL10A-4-2
Atlas-V/Centaur is planned to switch to: RL10C which is a derivative of RL10B-2
----
Delta-IV currently uses: RL10B-2

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #73 on: 12/08/2012 03:44 pm »
Thrust, mixture ratio, chamber pressure, and specific impulse differ between the two models.  RL10B-2 has a big extendible nozzle that RL10A-4-2 does not have.  Here's how the manufacturer describes its products.
http://www.pw.utc.com/Content/RL10_Engine/pdf/B-4-4-4_pwr_rl10b-2.pdf
http://www.pratt-whitney.com/Content/RL10_Engine/pdf/B-4-4-4_pwr_rl10a-4.pdf

- Ed Kyle

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #74 on: 12/08/2012 09:55 pm »

There are ITAR and propriety implications that will limit the detail in the public report

Thanks for the clarification.  I think it can be safe to say the report will say (much) more than just "a fuel leak occurred in a specific area of the interior of the thrust chamber"

« Reply #75 on: 12/10/2012 02:26 am »
Am I the only one who have noticed these photos for the launch at the ULA site?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #76 on: 12/10/2012 02:57 am »
when did those go up?   I would have posted those.

Thx for finding them & hope more come out.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #77 on: 12/10/2012 03:51 am »
If I'm reading the mission booklet correctly, roll to the pad is scheduled for T-32 hours. For a launch at 13:03 EST Tuesday that would be 05:03 EST Monday. EST is UTC - 5 hours. So roll should be at 10:03 UTC, or 5 hours and 15 minutes from now.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

« Reply #78 on: 12/10/2012 02:46 pm »
If I'm reading the mission booklet correctly, roll to the pad is scheduled for T-32 hours. For a launch at 13:03 EST Tuesday that would be 05:03 EST Monday. EST is UTC - 5 hours. So roll should be at 10:03 UTC, or 5 hours and 15 minutes from now.

I spy something that looks like Atlas V tail AV-034 at SLC-41.....  ::)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #79 on: 12/10/2012 05:40 pm »
Weather forecast doesn't seem all that good for either Tuesday or Wednesday sitting at 30% probability of launch for either day.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography