Author Topic: "Astronaut Farmer" features Mercury rocket  (Read 19723 times)

Offline Paramount

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Astronaut Farmer gains terrible reviews
« Reply #20 on: 02/24/2007 12:07 am »
BXmojo has it as overall rating D from 200 pollsters. http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/02/23/100ae_ae11astronaut001.cfm is a good example of reviews. "worthless movie."

'Astronaut' lacks the right stuff http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/entertainment/movies/newreleases/article_1587959.php

GMP gives it two stars out of five.

Offline tmckinley

• Regular
Re: "Astronaut Farmer" features Mercury rocket
« Reply #21 on: 02/24/2007 02:09 am »
I didn't think this would be my first post, but I have to do it. I just saw this movie, it was terrible. The only space knowledge I have is from this site, but it has served me well. Even I was able to pick out many errors.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
"The Astronaut Farmer"- a NASA-friendly movie!
« Reply #22 on: 02/24/2007 11:14 am »
I took my 14 year old son to see it yesterday afternoon, and I have to say that I liked it. There was something for everyone in it, from the physics wonks to the family guys (like myself).

The story is well-grounded in known physics. The lead character, Charles Farmer, played by Billy Bob Thornton, was in the astronaut program when a family emergency caused him to leave. We find out that he's more than qualified to construct, from surplus components, a Mercury/Atlas rocket exactlly like the one which carried John Glenn into orbit. The only concessions to modern tech are computer controls inside the capsule and control center (for telemetry), and additional oxygen supplies. These would come in handy.

His goal is to make three orbits.

Bruce Willis plays a part as an Air Force colonel who comes to visit Farmer after news of his endeavor goes worldwide. In a tip of the hat to "Armageddon", the two were in the same astronaut class, and Willis offers Farmer a seat on a Shuttle mission if only he'll give up his dream rocket.

A tempting choice...

I will not reveal more, other than to say that the only fault I found was where his capsule landed after his flight.

If there were things I could change about the movie, which begins with Farmer riding his horse at sunrise in search of a wayward calf, it would to have him stop to watch the ISS pass overhead (something I do every time the weather permits), and to replace Elton John's "Rocket Man" with "Answer In The Sky".

All of the answers to all of Farmer's questions were found there...

And like "Armageddon", Jay Leno gets to make two appearances, and Farmer gets to be a "star".

The movie treats NASA quite fairly, reserving its skewers for the FAA.

Take your families. Some critics have compared "Astronaut Farmer" to "Field of Dreams", but it lacks the two connections "Field" has, baseball, and actually connecting with our deceased parents.

Instead, it shows us a man who connects with the living, his family, and inspires a lot of people along the way.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
RE: Astronaut Farmer gains terrible reviews
« Reply #23 on: 02/24/2007 11:29 am »
Paramount - 23/2/2007  7:42 PM

Really is getting dissed heavily for being a really poor film :(

Many of you weren't alive when the first "Star Wars" came out. The critics were all over it, but the public loved it.

That's why they have "People's Choice" awards, because sometimes the Oscars just don't make sense.

Offline Tom Ligon

• Extreme Veteran
  • Manassas, VA
    • Tom Ligon's Website
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: 02/24/2007 07:02 pm »
I'm going to see it and I'll probably enjoy it.

The basic idea is very much like a story I published in _Analog Science Fiction and Fact_ back in 1996 called "Amateurs", but different enough that I probably can't sue.

But I even liked "Independence Day."

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 02/24/2007 07:23 pm »
Went to see it and it was terrible. It's a girly film based on stupidness. Nearly walked out half way through. Boring.

Explains why there's more F ratings than any other rating. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=astronautfarmer.htm

Offline wingod

• Liked: 3
RE: "The Astronaut Farmer"- a NASA-friendly movie!
« Reply #26 on: 02/25/2007 02:12 am »
I saw the movie tonight with my wife.  Lots o improbable stuff (the Atlas flying at 5 feet off the ground and not incenerating the news crews when it passes by) but I really liked the movie for the message that you can do anything that you put your mind to do.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 02/25/2007 02:38 am »
Orbiter Obvious - 24/2/2007  3:23 PM

Went to see it and it was terrible. It's a girly film based on stupidness. Nearly walked out half way through. Boring.

Explains why there's more F ratings than any other rating. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=astronautfarmer.htm

Really, what did you think of it.../ ;)

So what if it has as much to do with the current state of spaceflight as "Field of Dreams" has to do with pro baseball?
Maybe it's actually about following through on your life's dreams?...I wanted to be a Top 40 DJ and wound up standing beneath Endeavour with my family. But since radio doesn't pay as much as I'm currently making, maybe I'll live my dream after I retire.  :laugh:

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 02/25/2007 02:41 am »
wingod - 24/2/2007  10:12 PM

I saw the movie tonight with my wife.  Lots o improbable stuff (the Atlas flying at 5 feet off the ground and not incenerating the news crews when it passes by) but I really liked the movie for the message that you can do anything that you put your mind to do.

LOL! When I saw that part, all I could think of was the part in "Armageddon" where ...

"Rockhound: I remember this one! This is one where the coyote sat his ass in a slingshot then strapped himself to an acme rocket. Is that what we're doing here?
Truman: [under his breath] Rockhound.
Rockhound: No really, cos it didn't...
Harry Stamper: [shouting over Rockhound] Hey Rock!
Rockhound: ...work out too well for the Coyote, Harry!
Truman: We have a lot better rockets than the Coyote.

All that they needed to make that scene "perfect" would be to have had some kid driving a Plymouth Road Runner on that road, and just as he blows that famous "beep-beep" horn, Farmer's rocket blows past!

Offline wingod

• Liked: 3
« Reply #29 on: 02/25/2007 06:19 pm »
spaceflight101 - 24/2/2007  9:41 PM

wingod - 24/2/2007  10:12 PM

LOL! When I saw that part, all I could think of was the part in "Armageddon" where ...

"Rockhound: I remember this one! This is one where the coyote sat his ass in a slingshot then strapped himself to an acme rocket. Is that what we're doing here?
Truman: [under his breath] Rockhound.
Rockhound: No really, cos it didn't...
Harry Stamper: [shouting over Rockhound] Hey Rock!
Rockhound: ...work out too well for the Coyote, Harry!
Truman: We have a lot better rockets than the Coyote.

All that they needed to make that scene "perfect" would be to have had some kid driving a Plymouth Road Runner on that road, and just as he blows that famous "beep-beep" horn, Farmer's rocket blows past!

LOL!

I had not thought of that angle.  Very funny!

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 10
RE: "Astronaut Farmer" features Mercury rocket
« Reply #30 on: 02/25/2007 06:53 pm »
I saw it and loved it.  If you want to see a movie about rockets and space exploration, then this movie is probably not going to satisfy that desire.  However, if you are looking for an inspiring, feel-good family movie about never giving up on your dreams, then this is a great film.  

Sure, there were many technical inaccuracies, but the rocket is not what this movie is about.

Great movie :)

Offline tmckinley

• Regular
« Reply #31 on: 02/25/2007 07:13 pm »
I guess I just thought a lot was pretty ridiculous, but there were definitely some entertaining aspects of the movie.

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 02/25/2007 07:36 pm »
You know, one of the things I found lacking was the Internet community. A few years ago, a B-17 ran off the end of a runway in Chippewa, PA, and people with the requisite skills all came forth to make necessary repairs.

So, where was "AstronautFarmer.com", and cameo shots of Burt Rutan and others commenting on the role of private enterprise in spaceflight?

But maybe after the media circus which characterized his first attempt, he decided to keep the effort on the QT.

I'm a sucker for movies with this message, and I have photos of me and both of my sons sitting on Don Lansing's porch swing in Iowa.
Sometimes you just *have* to go the distance...it will be interesting to see if "Farmer" displaces "Ghost Rider" at the box office.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #33 on: 02/25/2007 08:34 pm »
spaceflight101 - 25/2/2007  2:36 PM

...it will be interesting to see if "Farmer" displaces "Ghost Rider" at the box office.
Unfortunately, it did not, at least not its opening weekend. "Ghost Rider" ranked #1 for the weekend with a projected $19.7 million. "The Astronaut Farmer" placed 9th with $4.5 million. The top three were completed by "The Number 23" and "Bridge to Terabithia".

Offline Rob in KC

• Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #34 on: 02/28/2007 05:33 pm »
spaceflight101 - 25/2/2007  2:36 PM

it will be interesting to see if "Farmer" displaces "Ghost Rider" at the box office.

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

The film has flopped, badly.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2007&wknd=08&p=.htm

Offline Paramount

« Reply #35 on: 02/28/2007 05:35 pm »
It's got to make $26m on the 50/50 rule to just break even on its production budget (DVD sales etc. pay for marketing and other costs), so at $4m opening week, it'll make a big loss.

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #36 on: 03/01/2007 02:41 am »
I just saw the first half of the movie.  Trite and sentimental.  I won't be watching the second half.

Offline kfsorensen

• aerospace and nuclear engineer
  • Huntsville, AL
    • Flibe Energy
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #37 on: 03/01/2007 02:53 am »
I saw it and thought it was sweet and enjoyable.  Kind of like "The Right Stuff" meets "Field of Dreams". Technical accuracy ... don't look for that.  But I've recommended it to my friends because it shows a family:

eating dinner together
going to church
loving and supporting each other in their dreams
not having affairs or running around
where kids love and admire their parents

I almost want to go see any movie rated PG these days just to support the rating.  Hollywood still hasn't figured out that clean family films make money.  I don't expect they ever will.

Offline dwrunyon

« Reply #38 on: 03/01/2007 05:22 am »

vanilla - 28/2/2007  10:53 PM  I've recommended it to my friends because it shows a family:

eating dinner together
going to church
loving and supporting each other in their dreams
not having affairs or running around
kids love and admire their parents

Nailed most of my reason for LOVING it. My family saw it together (me, wife, 5 year old son) and we loved those things about it, and just enjoyed the movie as a movie... we weren't looking for a technical treatise on building and launching a rocket... we just loved seeing the family as a family should be, and the rocket stuff was super fun (and actually pretty spectacular) icing.

My son and I have started building and flying model rockets and learning about space together so when this came out it was a natural "must see"... we even spotted our first rocket in the movie (Estes NSA Starship) which was an AWESOME moment for both of us, but he could barely contain himself pointing at the screen to make sure I saw it too!

Some things should just be enjoyed and not have to be perfect... great movies (and this is a great movie) are far too rare... crap like Ghost Rider has become all too common... there are no perfect movies and I'll take this over 99% of all the other BS Hollywood offers up any day.

Offline mastronaut

• Veteran
  • Spacebound Entity
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #39 on: 03/01/2007 11:28 am »
I'll see it, it's the type of movie that's not too 'geek' for average people who may just be casual followers of the space program.
I'm sure I'll have a few chuckles at the technical idiosyncracies, but that's entertainment.  :cool:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography