Author Topic: STS-13 "black cat" logo?  (Read 5685 times)

Offline oannes

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
STS-13 "black cat" logo?
« on: 02/05/2011 08:17 pm »
(Please don't read anything morbid into this...)  Does anyone have an image of the unofficial "STS-13" (41C) mission patch?  I read about it in the JSC Oral History Project but can't seem to google up a picture of it anywhere.  Besides being a little piece of shuttle history (directly related to the bizarre numbering of 16 missions), it sounds like potentially a unique design.  I am imagining that it might resemble some of the cartoonishly sinister wartime designs that Air Force guys put on planes and flight suits, which would be a novelty in a NASA patch.  The only other "folky" NASA patch I've seen is the STS-400 "Saint Bernard" patch, a favorite of mine.

From JSC Oral History:
ROSS-NAZZAL: Your crew was originally called STS-13. I understand you guys had quite a bit of fun with the thirteen.
VAN HOFTEN: Oh yes, triskaidekaphobia. In fact, you’ve probably seen the patch that Dick Scobee put together, the black cat patch. It was funny, because somewhere through our program NASA just decided they didn’t want thirteen anymore, and that’s when they invented all these goofy other labels, like we ended up 41-C that no one could ever figure out what that was. So we flew around with our STS-13 patch on, and that was a lot of fun. We ended up landing on Friday the 13th, so that was pretty cool. But no, it was really fun.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50

Offline oannes

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-13 "black cat" logo?
« Reply #2 on: 02/05/2011 08:48 pm »
Awesome, thanks!  And yeah, that looks like it could go on a WWII plane.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography