Author Topic: What advanced concepts are you interested in  (Read 37216 times)

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
What advanced concepts are you interested in
« on: 03/02/2006 12:54 am »
What advanced concepts interest you, if any?

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151
RE: What advanced concepts are you interested in
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2006 12:57 am »
Going faster than we are right now.

Moonbases.

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #2 on: 03/02/2006 01:11 am »
Reusable space planes and high speed civil/commercial transports, primarily.  

I still miss watching the Concorde fly over the Jersey shore out by Sandy Hook on approach to JFK.  That was an impressive sight when it flew right over the beach!  I never thought that I'd see the end of supersonic air travel and nothing but Mach 0.85 airliners on the drawing board.   :(

But in terms of spaceflight, I want to see a new generation of RLV's more than anything.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #3 on: 03/02/2006 02:28 am »
For reusable space planes I would look to the commercial/tourism sector from now on.

Offline Hotol

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2006 09:22 am »
An ability to all but eliminate loss of crew on a LOV.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #5 on: 03/02/2006 10:57 am »
I'd like to see NASA parterning with comercial companies to develop affordable recoverable 2nd stages, concentrating only on when such technology would be comercialy viable.

Offline AndyMc

• Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2006 11:13 am »
I'd like to see the CEV capsule and Service modules having a clamp type of docking mechanism and re-fuelling capability, so that when the service module has made the retrograde burn to send the CEV earth bound from LEO (not the lunar missions), the service module could re-orbit itself and be used as a space-tug or for fuel storage (perhaps both). If they were sold to a private operator, marshalled together and docked to a manifold, they would form the basis for a refuelling depot in LEO. Of course this depends upon the fuel being Methane(Ethanol)/LOX. This would of course add complexity and delay to the program if done now, but its worth bearing in mind for the future. The asset has been bought and paid for, then launched at great expense, so why not use it to its full potential.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2006 11:40 am »
Interesting, sort of like Parom?

Well the CEV is supposed to have a six-month orbital lifetime. Perhaps looking at some of the ideas for future Apollos would give some insperation on how it could work. I like :)

Offline Terry Rocket

• Veteran
  • Birmingham, England
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 03/02/2006 12:46 pm »
I like the idea of Branson getting a haircut. Sort of an advanced concept and sorta space related.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 03/02/2006 12:54 pm »
Come on! That realy is pushing the bounds of crediblity.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 03/02/2006 12:57 pm »
Terry Rocket - 2/3/2006  1:46 PM

I like the idea of Branson getting a haircut. Sort of an advanced concept and sorta space related.

You're asking for a slap. You know we've got a zero tolerance policy going on here, and that includes talk of hairstyles, seen as I haven't got one ;)

Back on topic.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Hotol

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: 03/02/2006 02:15 pm »
How about a new form of propulsion that takes away the need to carry all that propellant uphill. I think that would like moving from coal engines to electric engines.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: 03/02/2006 02:43 pm »
An old hankering to see a catapult-assisted horizontal launch across and through miles of Rocky Mountains and up off Pike's Peak.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #13 on: 03/02/2006 02:57 pm »
AndyMc - 2/3/2006  6:13 AMI'd like to see the CEV capsule and Service modules having a clamp type of docking mechanism and re-fuelling capability, so that when the service module has made the retrograde burn to send the CEV earth bound from LEO (not the lunar missions), the service module could re-orbit itself and be used as a space-tug or for fuel storage (perhaps both). If they were sold to a private operator, marshalled together and docked to a manifold, they would form the basis for a refuelling depot in LEO. Of course this depends upon the fuel being Methane(Ethanol)/LOX. This would of course add complexity and delay to the program if done now, but its worth bearing in mind for the future. The asset has been bought and paid for, then launched at great expense, so why not use it to its full potential.

I think a dedicated vehicle would be more efficient.  All the controls and electronics are in the CM.  Reboost would take a lot of fuel.  It would be too small for fuel storage. 

The unmanned CEV already is your space tug.

Offline DavidB

« Reply #14 on: 03/02/2006 07:44 pm »
Martin FL - 1/3/2006  5:54 PM

What advanced concepts interest you, if any?

Reusable space planes. I like the lifting body approach. Nature seems to be pushing shapes in that direction anyhow: fronts are bluntly rounded, wings are getting shorter and stubbier. Cars, trucks, and trains are taking this shape too. So why fight it.

Air launch platforms. I notice a few university aerospace clubs are pursuing work in this area. Not sure how far they'll get, but it is intriguing. I even recall some years ago, a group promoting the idea of modifying some SR-71 Blackbirds for small satellite launch. The Blackbird flies high in the atmosphere, fires off a rocket to launch the satellite. The idea sounded feasible, but it never went anywhere.

A permanent presence on Mars. Doesn't matter how simple it might be. Could just be a locator beacon, by which future missions pinpoint their location. As long as it is something long-term, I would be happy. That would be the "Plymouth Rock" for a whole new planet. Plus, it would be an exercise in just getting something to survive long-term on Mars.

The Space Elevator. I am not a fan of mega-projects, but this seems to be making progress. If they succeed, using private money, all the better.

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
« Reply #15 on: 03/02/2006 07:49 pm »
High-definition TV broadcasts from the Artemis lunar module during landing, and later from the rovers.

Offline RedSky

• Veteran
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: 03/02/2006 08:11 pm »
rsp1202 - 2/3/2006  2:49 PM
High-definition TV broadcasts from the Artemis lunar module during landing, and later from the rovers.

That'll be great.  Hopefully, there'll still be NASA-TV to watch it, cause you know after the first 5 minutes, all the other network & news channels will be bored and stop covering it.  Maybe also,  a 3D Imax movie filmed on location of construction of the future lunar base (similar to the 3D Imax Space Station movie).   It'll be time by then to update/remake the moon landing 3D Imax movie "Magnificent Desolation".

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #17 on: 03/05/2006 03:39 am »
rsp1202 - 2/3/2006  2:49 PM

Similar. I would like the ability to access a rover on Mars or the moon where one can explore yourself via the internet. A very advanced version of the rovers.

Offline dailywarren

« Reply #18 on: 03/06/2006 02:31 am »
Solar Sail, baby!  No fuel requirements and the potential of incredible speeds. Planetary.org is trying to put another one up on a russian rocket (the first one went ker-sputnik!) to test this theory, since NASA's budget restraints do not seem amenable to this fine idea.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #19 on: 03/06/2006 02:33 am »
dailywarren - 5/3/2006  9:31 PM

Solar Sail, baby!  No fuel requirements and the potential of incredible speeds. Planetary.org is trying to put another one up on a russian rocket (the first one went ker-sputnik!) to test this theory, since NASA's budget restraints do not seem amenable to this fine idea.

Welcome to the site.

We think another one went uphill on the recent Japanese launch. It was released prior to its primary payload, but I don't know if they reported any resulting tests carried out. Anyone?

PS Yes, the Russian one did indeed go splat.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography