Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879708 times)

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #2140 on: 04/24/2015 04:48 pm »
Hi!

I'm writing a science-fiction book, and one of the subplots deals with a fire on the ISS.

My first question is: How quickly could the astronauts evacuate into a Soyuz?

The current scenario happens in 2011. There is a fire in MRM1. There is a Soyuz docked to the service module (Zvezda). How quickly could three of the astronauts get into that Soyuz and undock?

Many thanks!

Al

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
« Reply #2141 on: 04/24/2015 04:56 pm »
I'm writing a sci-fi book that will involve the ISS. I'd like to get a good feeling for the conventions that are used in transmissions between the ground and the ISS.

I know I can listen live, but I'd like to have some recorded transmissions that I can listen to.

Something like this:

But without the commentary on top of it.

Thanks,

Al

Offline TSomers

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1555
« Reply #2142 on: 04/24/2015 09:25 pm »
One place to look would be this Nasa multimedia archive, maintained (I assume) by John44 on these forums.  It mostly covers the major events.  The EVA's would probably be the best place to look for lots of talking with little commentary. 
« Last Edit: 04/24/2015 09:25 pm by TSomers »

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #2143 on: 04/24/2015 09:40 pm »

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
« Reply #2144 on: 04/25/2015 01:10 am »
Excellent, thanks, guys.

I guess I have to search through to find actual conversations. The color commentary is interesting, but not what I'm looking for.

I'll post the scene when I get it done, and you can tell me what I've got wrong.
« Last Edit: 04/25/2015 01:22 am by PianoAl »

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
« Reply #2145 on: 04/25/2015 02:52 pm »
For a book I'm writing, I want to get the dialogue right for conversations between Houston and the ISS. I've been listening to transmissions, but I still have some questions:

1. Sometimes there are beeps between transmissions, other times not. Does that mean anything?

2. Are there strict protocols, or is there some latitude in conventions?

3. It seems that a conversation started by Houston usually starts like this: "Station. Houston on two for Terry. Blah blah." After that, it's just normal conversation as between two people. Right?

4. Is "roger" ever used? Instead I usually hear "copy" or "affirm" or "affirmative."

5. Are first names always used?

6. How would this work: Houston is talking with Bob and then Steve has an urgent message. Would it work like this:

"Station. Houston on two to Bob. Affirmative. You are go to remove the USB cable."
"Copy. Will Do."
"Houston, this is Steve. I'm showing an ammonia alarm in Destiny sensor four. Do you see that?"

Thanks,

Al

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
« Reply #2146 on: 04/25/2015 03:00 pm »
What I'm doing now is listening here:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html#.VTuiVZONBS0

and I set Audacity to record with voice-activated recording, then I'll come back later to review.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #2148 on: 04/26/2015 12:53 pm »
Here's the direct link to the current Expedition. The "Space-to-grounds" is what you want.

https://archive.org/download/Expedition43

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #2149 on: 05/05/2015 01:15 am »
For a book I'm writing, I want to get the dialogue right for conversations between Houston and the ISS. I've been listening to transmissions, but I still have some questions:

1. Sometimes there are beeps between transmissions, other times not. Does that mean anything?

2. Are there strict protocols, or is there some latitude in conventions?

3. It seems that a conversation started by Houston usually starts like this: "Station. Houston on two for Terry. Blah blah." After that, it's just normal conversation as between two people. Right?

4. Is "roger" ever used? Instead I usually hear "copy" or "affirm" or "affirmative."

5. Are first names always used?

6. How would this work: Houston is talking with Bob and then Steve has an urgent message. Would it work like this:

"Station. Houston on two to Bob. Affirmative. You are go to remove the USB cable."
"Copy. Will Do."
"Houston, this is Steve. I'm showing an ammonia alarm in Destiny sensor four. Do you see that?"

Thanks,

Al

Well since I suspect people have the same questions....

1.  That is a quindar.  When a person on the ground keys their mic it makes that noise so the ground knows the signal is going up.

2.   yes, there are protocols and people get training on how to talk on the loops.  Some training is to help ensure the information is accurate and clear and some is to make sure you don't say inappropriate things.

3. Protocol is  <person being called> <who is calling> <on shat space-to-ground loop> <who> and maybe <subject>.  This is the exact same protocol the flight use in MCC.  Once you have the conversation going you don't need to repeat that.  Now the astronauts get the luxury of reserved loops - the flight controllers often share loops so you may have multiple conversations going on.

4.  Yes, roger, copy, affirmative and wilco are all used.

5. First names or nicknames.

6. Yeah, that would work without the steve (we can usually tell by the voice and you don't need to say, especially in something critical).  If you need to interrupt some one you always say "break break"

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #2150 on: 05/05/2015 04:20 am »
Here's a question -- suppose  you have one crewperson in, say, Node 1 (call him Bob) and another on the far side of Destiny (call her Jill).  Bob in the node is asking a question about a stowage issue on the space-to-ground one (I'll call it StG1) loop, and Jill in the lab has a question about a reading on a rack where she is.  She's far enough away from Bob that she's not aware he is talking with the ground right then.

Does Jill in the lab see (or hear)  that Bob in the node is using StG1 and have the option to use StG2, for example?  Or does she just barge in, with no idea she should begin with a "break break" interruption notice?

I guess I am thinking that the comm loops would act like the old-fashioned home phone, and you wouldn't know someone else is using the line until you pick up the phone.  Is that right, or does each comm station on the ISS blare out both ends of whatever conversation is occurring on the loop to which it's set?
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #2151 on: 05/06/2015 12:43 am »
Here's a question -- suppose  you have one crewperson in, say, Node 1 (call him Bob) and another on the far side of Destiny (call her Jill).  Bob in the node is asking a question about a stowage issue on the space-to-ground one (I'll call it StG1) loop, and Jill in the lab has a question about a reading on a rack where she is.  She's far enough away from Bob that she's not aware he is talking with the ground right then.

Does Jill in the lab see (or hear)  that Bob in the node is using StG1 and have the option to use StG2, for example?  Or does she just barge in, with no idea she should begin with a "break break" interruption notice?

I guess I am thinking that the comm loops would act like the old-fashioned home phone, and you wouldn't know someone else is using the line until you pick up the phone.  Is that right, or does each comm station on the ISS blare out both ends of whatever conversation is occurring on the loop to which it's set?

Right now we have 4 Space-to-Ground loops, creatively called S/G-1, 2, 3, 4 though 3 & 4 are only when we have Ku-band coverage.   We generally reserve loops for specific conversations.  For example, S/G-1 goes all the way into the Russian segment so it is the whole ship comm loop.  S/G-2 tends to be for general stuff in the USOS.  Loops 3 and 4 are usually dedicated to either family conferences or say Joe running experiment X will use one of those loops to focus on that conversation.  But yes, people can step on each other.  it is a little bit like a party line if you know the term.  Usually the astronauts will have the loops punched up on the ATU so they will know if there is a conversation going but now and then someone will step on someone else.  And if something becomes more detailed we may say "lets move over to S/G-X".

Offline PianoAl

• Northern California
« Reply #2152 on: 05/06/2015 03:40 pm »
Let's say there were only two astronauts on the ISS. Would they be able to suit one another up in prep for an EVA?

I'm guessing that if one astronaut were in the EVA suit, he/she wouldn't have the dexterity needed to finish suiting up the other.

If the answer is no, what modifications to a suit might make it possible?

Thanks,

Al
« Last Edit: 05/06/2015 03:57 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline fgonella

• Liked: 11
« Reply #2153 on: 05/06/2015 05:11 pm »
Using the Orlan suits? Or do they need a third cosmonaut to be donned as well?

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #2154 on: 05/06/2015 05:43 pm »
Let's say there were only two astronauts on the ISS. Would they be able to suit one another up in prep for an EVA?

I'm guessing that if one astronaut were in the EVA suit, he/she wouldn't have the dexterity needed to finish suiting up the other.

If the answer is no, what modifications to a suit might make it possible?

Thanks,

Al

Yes.  That was done when the shuttle flights were grounded .  There are pics of expedition six testing this before the two men expeditions started.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #2155 on: 05/27/2015 12:27 pm »
Silly question, but why wasn't PMM relocated to Node 3 Port? Wouldn't that have allowed Node 3 aft to be used for VV, too?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #2156 on: 05/27/2015 01:49 pm »
Silly question, but why wasn't PMM relocated to Node 3 Port? Wouldn't that have allowed Node 3 aft to be used for VV, too?

Node 3 Port has clearance issues with the rotating P1 Truss radiators. PMA-3 only just fits there.

Node 3 Aft was determined not to be usable for VVs due to clearance issues and robotics access, and that was before the FGB array issue was discovered.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #2157 on: 05/30/2015 08:38 am »
When visiting vehicles depart, do they always perform a retrograde burn and then wait until that gets them down the radial vector and then do a second retrograde burn? (I'm pretty sure I've seen diagrams showing that, but is it only for some vehicles?)
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #2158 on: 06/10/2015 06:49 pm »
Accidental firing of Soyuz engines? Has this ever happened before?

http://rt.com/news/266146-soyuz-iss-thrusters-misfire/
« Last Edit: 06/10/2015 06:50 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2159 on: 06/10/2015 06:55 pm »
Accidental firing of Soyuz engines? Has this ever happened before?

http://rt.com/news/266146-soyuz-iss-thrusters-misfire/
According to CSA astronaut Chris Hadfield, it happened on Exp. 7: https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/status/608400777254739968
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography