Author Topic: Suggestion: SSRMS boom extension  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
Suggestion: SSRMS boom extension
« on: 03/16/2008 05:17 pm »
In the light of the OBSS use during STS-120 and the unability of the SSRMS to reach many places on ISS (in particular after outboard CETA rail cancelation, e.g. P6 and S6 IEA), here an idea (not mine):

Why not build a simple SSRMS extension, a boom with a PDGF at one end, a LEE on the other and cables in between, maybe 10m long. No joints, no sensor packages, no cameras etc. It could be launched in place of the OBSS on any future flight if the OBSS is left on ISS by the flight before (just as done with STS-123 and STS-124). It could be stowed at the same place where the OBSS is stowed during STS-123.

Benefits:
- platform for astronaut or Dextre to reach places unreachable before
- capability to graple other objects unreachable before
- PDGF and LEE available as ORU if needed
- no need to launch LEE ORU on future logistics flights (as planned today)

Cost:
- a LEE ORU is planned to be launched in the future and therefore available
- a PDGF is available on the spacelab pallet currently in orbit
- boom: spare?
- cables, software, integration, documentation etc. ???

Realistic? Any comments?

Analyst

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Suggestion: SSRMS boom extension
« Reply #1 on: 03/16/2008 05:31 pm »
Adding an LEE is probably not that much use as it would not be able to articulate unless you flew an entire joint set on the new arm.
I know that an EVA is needed for stowage on 123 - but is that just for KAU - need to check on L2.

Overall I think a passive extension would be a useful tool to have on - orbit.

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #2 on: 03/16/2008 05:40 pm »
bobthemonkey - 16/3/2008  8:31 PM

Adding an LEE is probably not that much use as it would not be able to articulate unless you flew an entire joint set on the new arm.

You articulate with the SSRMS joints, the boom is just an extension. The LEE on the boom "moves" the active SSRMS LEE more away. Think of a long boom you hold in your hand (LEE on SSRMS) with a hand at the end of the boom (LEE on boom).

Analyst

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
RE: Suggestion: SSRMS boom extension
« Reply #3 on: 04/30/2008 02:03 am »
"
Analyst - 16/3/2008  3:17 PM...

Why not build a simple SSRMS extension, a boom with a PDGF at one end, a LEE on the other and cables in between, maybe 10m long. No joints, no sensor packages, no cameras etc. It could be launched in place of the OBSS on any future flight if the OBSS is left on ISS by the flight before (just as done with STS-123 and STS-124). It could be stowed at the same place where the OBSS is stowed during STS-123."

I never knew this site existed until this past weekend, and now I feel like a kid in a candy store (or like the first time I walked into a Snap-On truck...whoa baby).

Actually, this was something I had asked a science editor here in Canada, although more basic in concept:

Why not leave the last OBSS on the station? It has already proved it's worth for the damaged solar array, it may be called upon again for a similar (or identical task) one day. In space, you never know. Seems like a perfectly good waste of hardware to be in a museum on the ground.

It makes even more sense now, in that the mounting stations and keep-alive cables are in place.

Offline synchrotron

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: 04/30/2008 02:18 am »
Or put a PDGF on each end with the requisite cabling and Dextre can hang out at the far end.  Stiffness is a little low with all that length, but Dextre can use one gripper to stabilize near the worksite.

Toss EVA handrails along its length and you have a handy extension ladder too.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography