Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 411 - SBIRS GEO-4 - Cape Canaveral SLC-41 - January 19/20, 2018  (Read 73752 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Last Edit: 01/19/2018 10:03 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Re: SBIRS GEO-4 2018
« Reply #1 on: 10/16/2015 05:59 am »
That article says FY 2018, which means the payload could fly in 2017.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #2 on: 10/16/2015 12:57 pm »
That article says FY 2018, which means the payload could fly in 2017.

good catch Steven
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #3 on: 10/20/2015 01:00 pm »
The interesting thing is, that this time an Atlas-V(411) instead of the Atlas-V(401) was ordered

SBIRS-GEO has either gained some additional mass or an different orbital injection profile will be used.

https://govtribe.com/project/ja-15-37-for-space-based-infrared-systems-sbirs-geo-flight-4-launch-services

Offline c3infinity

• Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 10/20/2015 05:09 pm »
The interesting thing is, that this time an Atlas-V(411) instead of the Atlas-V(401) was ordered

SBIRS-GEO has either gained some additional mass or an different orbital injection profile will be used.

https://govtribe.com/project/ja-15-37-for-space-based-infrared-systems-sbirs-geo-flight-4-launch-services

It's possible the extra SRB is for increased performance to allow the Centaur to fully de-orbit into the ocean.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #5 on: 10/20/2015 05:25 pm »
Speaking of SBIRS, Aviation Week an excellent article on the program. Well worth the read:

http://aviationweek.com/space/unprecedented-peek-behind-sbirs-veil
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #6 on: 10/21/2015 04:25 am »
Thanks. That article says that SBIRS GEO-4 will launch in 2016, while SBIRS GEO-3 has been put in storage and will launch in 2017. That doesn't really make much sense to me and doesn't fit with the earlier information, so I think the 2016 date may be a typo.
« Last Edit: 10/21/2015 04:36 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
SBIRS GEO Flight 4 in Testing

Pictured here, the SBIRS GEO Flight 4 spacecraft in testing and storage at Lockheed Martin’s satellite manufacturing facility in Sunnyvale, California. Scheduled for launch in 2017, this will be the fourth satellite of the U.S. Air Force’s Space Based Infrared System.

More: www.lockheedmartin.com/sbirs
Jacques :-)

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
Thanks. That article says that SBIRS GEO-4 will launch in 2016, while SBIRS GEO-3 has been put in storage and will launch in 2017. That doesn't really make much sense to me and doesn't fit with the earlier information, so I think the 2016 date may be a typo.
Replying to an old comment here, but the Air Force announced that SBIRS GEO 3 and 4 would swap launch slots right around the time that article was published. The reason is that GEO-4 was ready in time for the GEO-3 launch slot, so this way they only need to transfer one satellite in and out of storage.
http://spacenews.com/sbirs-geo-4-satellite-will-leapfrog-geo-3-to-launchpad/
« Last Edit: 06/01/2016 12:57 pm by jacqmans »

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
Updating thread title. SFN have indicated 27th of October and also list the configuration as a 411. Steven was right up thread

2017 looks like it will be a good year for solids on Atlas V
« Last Edit: 11/23/2016 09:03 pm by vapour_nudge »

Offline rocketeer

• Liked: 1
Can anyone clarify (confirm) whether GEO-3 and GEO-4 swapped launch slots or not?  The reason that I ask is that there is a patch available (ostensibly for GEO-3) that clearly reads GEO-IV in roman numerals. Was this patch released in error, or does it represent the actual payload? Forgive me for playing devils advocate...

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Can anyone clarify (confirm) whether GEO-3 and GEO-4 swapped launch slots or not?  The reason that I ask is that there is a patch available (ostensibly for GEO-3) that clearly reads GEO-IV in roman numerals. Was this patch released in error, or does it represent the actual payload? Forgive me for playing devils advocate...

The patch is for this mission and thread, GEO-4.  The patch is not for GEO-3. The ebay seller has the wrong name
« Last Edit: 12/04/2016 08:40 pm by Jim »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81666
  • Likes Given: 36933
Now NET 2018:

Two satellite launches planned for this fall #AEHF4 and #SBIRSGEO4 are being delayed to 2018 due to separate issues spaceflightnow.com/2017/08/02/two…

https://twitter.com/spaceflightnow/status/892830508530503681

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: Atlas V 401 - SBIRS GEO-4 - Jan 18, 2018 - Canaveral SLC 41
« Reply #14 on: 08/02/2017 08:44 pm »
[Spaceflight Now] Two U.S. military satellite launches delayed into next year
Separately and unrelated to AEHF, the SBIRS GEO Flight 4 launch is being delayed due to a “SBIRS program prioritization decision.”

It is tentatively rescheduled for launch on Jan. 18, 2018.

Online Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #15 on: 11/03/2017 01:16 am »
https://www.facebook.com/SpaceandMissileSystemsCenter/photos/pcb.1710174195679954/1710173089013398/?type=3&theater

Los Angeles Air Force Base, Home of Space and Missile Systems Center added 30 new photos.
1 hr ·

SBIRS GEO Flight-4 arrives in Florida, Prepares for January launch

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. -- The U.S. Air Force's Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) program completed a major program milestone October 31, successfully delivering a Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO) satellite Flight-4 to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

"The delivery, launch, and successful operation of GEO Flight-4 will mark the fulfillment of the original SBIRS baseline constellation and reaffirm our commitment to provide our country, warfighters, and senior leaders with timely, reliable, and accurate missile warning and infrared surveillance information." said Lt. Gen. John Thompson, SMC commander and Air Force program executive officer for space.

The delivery of GEO Flight-4 sets the path for final checkout of the space vehicle before launch. The satellite will be processed at the Payload Processing Facility located at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

A combined government and contractor team is already executing the final ground activities including a Launch Base Confidence Test to verify satellite integrity after shipment, an intersegment test to verify communication compatibility from the satellite to the on-orbit operations center and the final battery reconditioning for launch. Following these activities, the satellite will be fueled and prepared for integration with the Atlas V rocket.

"Finalizing the preparations for the fourth launch of a SBIRS GEO satellite is a big deal" added Col. Dennis Bythewood, director of the Remote Sensing Systems Directorate. "The entire team understands how significant this is, and we're ready to make it happen." The GEO Flight-4 satellite is scheduled
to launch from Cape Canaveral in January 2018.

The satellite was transported from the Lockheed Martin satellite integration facility in Sunnyvale, California, via a C-5 Galaxy aircraft. The C-5 crew from the 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, California, ensured the satellite was transported safely and according to the time sensitive schedule. The security support provided by the 129th Rescue Wing, California Air National Guard, was essential to the success of the mission.

"The safety of the SBIRS satellite was entrusted to the very best, and we are appreciative of the transport and security services provided by the entire government and contractor team," Lt. Gen. Thompson said.

The SBIRS constellation is designed to replace the legacy Defense Support Program satellite constellation. SBIRS will continue to provide significantly enhanced capabilities to support missile warning, missile defenses, battlespace awareness and technical intelligence missions. (U.S. Air Force photos/45th Space Wing, Patrick AFB, Fla.)
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #16 on: 11/10/2017 10:33 am »
SBIRS GEO Flight-4 arrives in Florida, prepares for January launch

By SPACE & MISSILE SYSTEMS CENTER (AFSPC) / Published November 02, 2017

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. -- 

The U.S. Air Force’s Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) program completed a major program milestone on Oct. 31, 2017, successfully delivering a Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO) satellite Flight-4 to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

“The delivery, launch, and successful operation of GEO Flight-4 will mark the fulfillment of the original SBIRS baseline constellation and reaffirm our commitment to provide our country, warfighters, and senior leaders with timely, reliable, and accurate missile warning and infrared surveillance information,” said Lt. Gen. John Thompson, SMC commander and Air Force program executive officer for space.

The delivery of GEO Flight-4 sets the path for final checkout of the space vehicle before launch. The satellite will be processed at the Payload Processing Facility located at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. 

A combined government and contractor team is already executing the final ground activities including a Launch Base Confidence Test to verify satellite integrity after shipment, an intersegment test to verify communication compatibility from the satellite to the on-orbit operations center and the final battery reconditioning for launch. Following these activities, the satellite will be fueled and prepared for integration with the Atlas V rocket.

“Finalizing the preparations for the fourth launch of a SBIRS GEO satellite is a big deal,” added Col. Dennis Bythewood, director of the Remote Sensing Systems Directorate. “The entire team understands how significant this is, and we’re ready to make it happen,” The GEO Flight-4 satellite is scheduled to launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, in January 2018. 

The satellite was transported from the Lockheed Martin satellite integration facility in Sunnyvale, California, via a C-5 Galaxy aircraft.  The C-5 crew from the 22nd Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, California, ensured the satellite was transported safely and according to the time sensitive schedule. The security support provided by the 129th Rescue Wing, California Air National Guard, was essential to the success of the mission.

“The safety of the SBIRS satellite was entrusted to the very best, and we are appreciative of the transport and security services provided by the entire government and contractor team,” Lt. Gen. Thompson said.

The SBIRS constellation is designed to replace the legacy Defense Support Program satellite constellation. SBIRS will continue to provide significantly enhanced capabilities to support missile warning, missile defenses, battlespace awareness and technical intelligence missions.
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7817
« Reply #17 on: 11/17/2017 08:42 pm »
SBIRS GEO Flight 4 Delivery Ready for January Launch

Space and Missile Systems Center Los Angeles AFB
Published on Nov 17, 2017

The U.S. Air Force’s Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) program completed a major milestone successfully delivering the Geosynchronous Earth Orbit (GEO) satellite Flight 4 to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline forrestc

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: 12/13/2017 01:53 am »
I happen to be in florida on the 18th with nothing better to do...   Does anyone have launch window information on this flight?

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7397
  • Likes Given: 72455
Re: Atlas V 411 - SBIRS GEO-4 - Jan 18, 2018 - Canaveral SLC 41
« Reply #19 on: 12/14/2017 03:07 am »
I happen to be in florida on the 18th with nothing better to do...   Does anyone have launch window information on this flight?

If one checks the US Launch Schedule thread, the most recent posting shows:
<snip>
NET January 19 - SBIRS-GEO 4 - Atlas V 411 (AV-076) - Canaveral SLC-41 - 00:40-01:20

Changes on December 5th
...which equals 7:40-8:20 pm January 18 Eastern Standard Time.
« Last Edit: 12/14/2017 04:10 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography