Author Topic: Mixing Fluids in Space  (Read 1658 times)

Offline DanBayley

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Mixing Fluids in Space
« on: 06/28/2013 10:43 am »
Hey, I just came across this idea that sounds really cool in theory, but I'm wondering if anyone out knows if it's actually technically possible:

Mixing Fluids in Space http://marblar.com/challenge/Micro-mixer/idea/1266

This tiny device as it passively mixes fluids in milliseconds, so experiments, such as microgravity experiments, can be carried out easily in space.

However, I'm not 100% sure that this is needed commonly enough for the concept to be followed through. What do you guys think? Do you know other areas where fluids need to be mixed in space in such a way?
« Last Edit: 06/28/2013 10:45 am by DanBayley »

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 140
Re: Mixing Fluids in Space
« Reply #1 on: 06/28/2013 11:16 am »
Isn't it far more easy to use a static mixer for this purpose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_mixer

Offline DanBayley

« Reply #2 on: 06/28/2013 04:14 pm »
It would be but static mixers take longer to mix things - although this may not be a big deal.

More importantly, static mixers still require very precise and well timed dosing of fluids. This needs expensive pumps and other equipment. Overall the device actually provides a hugely cheaper and simpler solution.

Thanks for bringing this to light though, I had never heard of a static mixer before!

Offline Heinrich

« Reply #3 on: 06/28/2013 06:57 pm »
Actually you don't need precise dosing pumps. The whole idea is that you change the direction of the fluid (can be gas or liquid) as often as you need until your required amount of mixing. See the blue white sketch on wiki page.

Static mixers have niche-applications in the (petro)chemical industry. (which is my background) They are of use when mixing highly viscous liquids, or for applications where a certain degree of mixing is required (e.g. because a local high concentration of one reactant could cause a runaway reaction).

Offline DanBayley

« Reply #4 on: 06/29/2013 10:40 am »
Oh that's interesting! The static mixer is quite impressive.

That is a cool background, you will have much more knowledge than me. Are there any disadvantages to a static mixer? Or can you see any advantages to using the micro mixer in the first post?

Offline Heinrich

« Reply #5 on: 06/29/2013 05:49 pm »
Don't know enough how these space station experiments are performed, and what requirements there are. For very low volumes I can imagine other ways of mixing might be more practical.

The micro mixer seems limited to small volumes. I don't really understand the picture in the patent, but it looks like some internals in a syringe. For oil refinery volume flows, that's not really usefull.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography