Author Topic: Goldman Sachs Report on Asteroid Mining  (Read 74110 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Goldman Sachs Report on Asteroid Mining
« Reply #100 on: 09/26/2017 01:16 pm »
Again, relevant, yes?
Very marginally relevant, yes.

And Paul451 has a point. Dumping giant articles on people and saying "that refutes you" isn't helpful. You have an agenda, everyone knows it... it's right in your user ID. That's fine. But don't let your agenda color how you participate here. I could have PMed this but PMs don't do much good with certain classes of user.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline LMT

• Lake Matthew Team
    • Lake Matthew
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: 09/26/2017 04:36 pm »
Again, relevant, yes?
Very marginally relevant, yes.

And Paul451 has a point. Dumping giant articles on people and saying "that refutes you" isn't helpful. You have an agenda, everyone knows it... it's right in your user ID. That's fine. But don't let your agenda color how you participate here. I could have PMed this but PMs don't do much good with certain classes of user.

Linking one's own short conference talk, with highlighted example, is a fair way to make an uncontroversial point.  Emphasis on uncontroversial.  One shouldn't belabor such things.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #102 on: 09/26/2017 04:57 pm »
No it isn't  Just extract the bit that makes the point, quote it, and then provide the link so people can follow up.

This is off topic. You should stop and let the mod have the last word because arguing isn't making you look good.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline topsphere

• Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #103 on: 09/27/2017 08:32 pm »
I'm not sure in 6 pages of this thread whether the report in question has actually been posted. I've been sitting on it for a while but only just got round to reading. It's a relatively OK synthesis of trends and developments in the space industry (and good that Goldman are interested in space), although an in-depth business case of asteroid mining it is not.

See attachment below.

Cheers.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #104 on: 10/26/2017 07:19 am »
I've come across this before, but a nice infographic to keep around here too

http://www.businessinsider.com/periodic-table-of-endangered-elements-2015-8
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Warren Platts

« Reply #105 on: 10/27/2017 12:16 am »
Interesting that they are predicting a severe silver shortage...
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."--Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline spacester

• Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 178
« Reply #106 on: 10/08/2018 04:16 am »
Have any of this analysis projected the increased demand due to new technologies enabled by cheaper PGMs?

The reason the stuff is valuable is its use as a catalyst in energy and other technologies. Business cases for some reactions might be radically changed.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #107 on: 10/17/2018 08:14 pm »
Have any of this analysis projected the increased demand due to new technologies enabled by cheaper PGMs?

The reason the stuff is valuable is its use as a catalyst in energy and other technologies. Business cases for some reactions might be radically changed.

I can give you a real world resounding "YES" on that question.

Using rare metals as catalysts in chemical reactions is of huge interest to the company I own. Making precious metals "less precious" will open up a whole raft of technology opportunities I am foregoing right now due to cost- as are other companies.

(Specifically, I am making vast quantities of NO gas that I'd like to turn into something more useful. Without a catalyst, I have to use energy to accomplish the same work in a given period of time. But that is off topic.)
« Last Edit: 10/20/2018 03:24 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #108 on: 11/16/2018 02:50 pm »
Could I suggest that this thread is in the wrong sub-forum, in that it's unlikely asteroid prospecting or exploitation will involve crewed spacecraft?

Offline Rondaz

• Liked: 5301
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #109 on: 07/09/2019 06:33 pm »
Teams Honored in NASA’s 2019 Robotic Mining Competition

Linda Herridge Posted on July 9, 2019

More than 300 undergraduate and graduate students, from 45 universities and colleges throughout the U.S., competed in NASA’s 2019 Virtual Robotic Mining Competition. Participating teams submitted a systems engineering paper, reported on their STEM Outreach in their communities, and provided a virtual slide presentation and robot demonstration.

The RMC 2019 Winners:

Slide Presentations & Demonstrations
1st Place – The University of Alabama
2nd Place – The University of Akron
3rd Place – University of Minnesota-Twin Cities

Systems Engineering Paper Award
1st Place – The University of Alabama
2nd Place – New York University – Tandon School of Engineering
3rd Place – Case Western Reserve University

Outreach Report
1st Place – The University of Akron
2nd Place – The University of Alabama
3rd Place – The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

The Joe Kosmo Award for Excellence
The University of Alabama

The competition is a NASA Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate project designed to encourage and retain students in science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM fields. NASA directly benefits from the competition by encouraging the development of innovative autonomous coding and robotic excavation concepts. These unique or clever solutions may be applied to a device and/or payload on an In-Situ Resource Utilization (ISRU) mission. This has the potential to significantly contribute to our Nation’s space vision and exploration operations.

NASA is implementing the President’s Space Policy Directive-1 to “lead an innovative and sustainable program of exploration with commercial and international partners to enable human expansion across the solar system.” NASA is charged to get American astronauts to the Moon in the next five years with a landing on the lunar South Pole. Our goal now is to return to the Moon to stay, in a sustainable way. NASA will continue to “use all means necessary” to ensure mission success in moving us forward to the Moon and ensure the next man and the first woman on the Moon are American. Our nation will need a future workforce that has the skills for developing autonomous robotic mining on the Moon, Mars and other off-world locations. We will benefit by being leaders in a new resource-based space economy that will inspire and train the next generation workforce which will add to the overall economic strength of the USA.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/kennedy/2019/07/09/teams-honored-in-nasas-2019-robotic-mining-competition/

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #110 on: 07/10/2019 03:58 am »
Could I suggest that this thread is in the wrong sub-forum, in that it's unlikely asteroid prospecting or exploitation will involve crewed spacecraft?
I think we discussed this at the time internally and never reported back. At this time, this seems to be the best fit. It's not exactly space science which is the other possible fit. We are launcher centric to a certain extent, here, so...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography