Author Topic: KSC Workforce Grant Announcement - June 2  (Read 12284 times)

Online Chris Bergin

MEDIA ADVISORY: M31-10

MEDIA INVITED TO KENNEDY VISITOR COMPLEX FOR ANNOUNCEMENT JUNE 2

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- NASA's Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
will host Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis Wednesday, June 2, at 9 a.m.
for a major announcement to assist NASA workers who will be
dislocated as a result of the impending retirement of the Space
Shuttle Program.

NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver will open the event, which will
include Rep. Suzanne Kosmas of Florida, Brevard Workforce President
Lisa Rice and other community leaders.

For information about NASA's Kennedy Space Center, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/kennedy 
« Last Edit: 06/02/2010 01:10 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Sorry, but this actually was the first thing that came into my head.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853

HA ha ha! Brilliant.

Offline ceepdublu

• Renton, WA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
"Dislocated" sounds so much nicer than "fired" or "laid off"

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Likes Given: 0
Garver:  "I have never been partisan in anything, but the stone-cold facts are this president cannot win re-election without the wonderful people of the grate state of Florida. 

While your economomy, and the Nation's, will suffer, while thousands of people will be unemployed due to this bold new direction and while we cannot even yet describe the mechanisms by which everything will be replaced, rest assured we had to remove all traces of a Bush-era program and end the travesty of the Space Shuttle Program once and for all.  After all, it was President Bush who did this to you and I personally asked the senior agency officials if the Shuttle could be extended on day one.  It is not my fault...I promise. 

Therefore, we announce this government program and the trivial amount of money which should make everything better.  This is a bold new initiative for you to deal with unemployment.  Be grateful for it, because there are thousands of others across the nation that do not even rate this consideration because they live in states the president will never win."
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline pathfinder_01

• Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 8
Garver:  "I have never been partisan in anything, but the stone-cold facts are this president cannot win re-election without the wonderful people of the grate state of Florida. 

While your economomy, and the Nation's, will suffer, while thousands of people will be unemployed due to this bold new direction and while we cannot even yet describe the mechanisms by which everything will be replaced, rest assured we had to remove all traces of a Bush-era program and end the travesty of the Space Shuttle Program once and for all.  After all, it was President Bush who did this to you and I personally asked the senior agency officials if the Shuttle could be extended on day one.  It is not my fault...I promise. 

Therefore, we announce this government program and the trivial amount of money which should make everything better.  This is a bold new initiative for you to deal with unemployment.  Be grateful for it, because there are thousands of others across the nation that do not even rate this consideration because they live in states the president will never win."

Ah in my state teachers are being laid off. School programs cut.  Nurse laid off from the public hospital, Public transit works have been laid off. School are considering going to 4 day weeks, what the beep parents are going to do with the kid who is off one more day than they is a problem.
While being laid off sucks big time, if those categories of people are being laid off now expecting this government to bail the space program out is expecting too much.

I want moon and mars and bases on Pluto, but face the facts there isn’t enough budget for it and I think school children deserve teacher more than this country deserve rockets. NASA needs to realize that NOW is not the time to have an over budget badly run program. Thank God for the good salary, well earned respect, and fortune that working at or for NASA has bestowed you but don’t expect the government to bail you out this time. There are too many other major problems going on.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Not to Hijack this thread, but I fear this:

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran

Ah in my state teachers are being laid off. School programs cut.  Nurse laid off from the public hospital, Public transit works have been laid off. School are considering going to 4 day weeks, what the beep parents are going to do with the kid who is off one more day than they is a problem.
While being laid off sucks big time, if those categories of people are being laid off now expecting this government to bail the space program out is expecting too much.

I want moon and mars and bases on Pluto, but face the facts there isn’t enough budget for it and I think school children deserve teacher more than this country deserve rockets. NASA needs to realize that NOW is not the time to have an over budget badly run program. Thank God for the good salary, well earned respect, and fortune that working at or for NASA has bestowed you but don’t expect the government to bail you out this time. There are too many other major problems going on.

While I'm sorry for your plight, do NOT lecture me for something intended as tounge-n-cheek.

I am not asking for a "bailout", that is against the core of everything I believe.  I am asking for a sensible policy, one that I have advocated for time and time again in forums that you are not even aware. 

Sure, we can translate all of NASA's budget and not make a bit of difference to any kids across the country.  Sure we can do that and further reduce the chance kids may want to go into science, technology or engineering.  Sure we can do all of that and create another welfare program instead of investing our limited funds that actually returns more money to the economy and allows everything to grow. 

Yes, investment in something with near- and long-term economic benefits is something not to be mentioned in this day and age of "wealth redistribution" and the people that support it. 

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130

You remind me of those who think NASA costs a zillion dollars a year. I don't see you outside the Pentagon protesting at the 5 billion dollars a day being spent on an illegal war, instead of school teachers. Pick the right targets as you're on a space site, which makes me think you're an attention seeker.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
All I can say is I'm sorry that WE in the spaceflight community weren't able to convince those in Congress that having the shuttle program to support the ISS was in the best interests of your country and the International Partners.

Extending the shuttle program just made the most sense to maintain a capability that will soon be lost, with untold consequences to the ISS, but known consequences to the people on the ground that made it a reality for so many years.

God Bless, and good luck.

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
You remind me of those who think NASA costs a zillion dollars a year. I don't see you outside the Pentagon protesting at the 5 billion dollars a day being spent on an illegal war, instead of school teachers. Pick the right targets as you're on a space site, which makes me think you're an attention seeker.

You do know OV is a NASA manager right?

Please have at least a little respect, it's personal for him.

He has to look these people in the eye.
No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
You probably mean a NASA contractor. NASA employees won't lose their jobs.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
I never said I was a NASA manager.

In addition, for the record, it is not about "me".  Will I be affected?  Absolutely, but that is not the sole reason by any means for my discontent.

My discontent is about a cause, a purpose, a mission (all in the most general sense) slipping away and being replaced with nothing. 

It is about placing in jeopardy what we have been singulary focused on creating for over a decade without any plans, or any transition, to allow it to thrive and be used. 

It is about putting that platform in jeopardy, by placing its sustainment and utilization directly in the critical path of "commercial" suppliers who are not proven, let alone operational.  If ISS fails, so does commercial, and with it supposedly the "bold future". 

It is about a seemingly hastily derived plan that changes things so quickly and so radically, without any transition, it will most likely leave the agency, and industry, - from an asset, skills and knowledge base perspective - in shreds and disarray. 

Basically, everything is coming to an end and that is the one absolute we get to deal with everyday.  In its place are the continued policy debates that go nowhere. 

Instead of something real, something tangible, something worthy of the people who are the most affected, and arguably, are the most important, the most vital and the most talented and informed to execute whatever ultimately comes next, we are going to get a speech about a trivial amount of money to "help" only a certain percentage of this workforce because the rest of us live in a different state(s). 

That is just one of the growing reasons for my angst, my disgust and my scorn.  For if was about anything more than politics, then true disclosure about how this budget, and "policy", were derived and for what purpose would be unvailed for a government that billed itself on being open and transparent. 

It is not me that has to look people in the eye, I am very happy with my accomplishments.  It is "them" that have to look all of "us" in the eye. 

Offline 2552

• Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 522
This is being aired on NASA TV now, didn't know that.

Online Chris Bergin

There's an Orion there (which is ironic, you'll see later today).

Lori Garver - paraphrasing a bit: "KSC is our launch site that has taken us to the moon. The shuttle has been an amazing program and you should all be very proud, but we're not just talking about the past but the amazing future for KSC where we are bringing growth to the area."

Online Chris Bergin

Kosmas: ".....World class opportunities to maintain our leadership in space (says it twice). Thrilled to be here as part of this celebration. There was always going to be a gap after shuttle, which provides us with a situation that is not comfortable. We're here to reduce that gap.

"This grant we are announcing will help create innovative programs for the workforce. There are numerous local business to hire up the employees. As a community we have to come together as we move to next phase, as we look to maintain our leadership (there it is again) nationally and internationally."

Online Chris Bergin

Re: KSC Workforce Grant Announcement - June 2
« Reply #16 on: 06/02/2010 01:12 pm »
Sec of Labor thanking everyone....bit fluffy...

Noting the decision to end shuttle was made some time ago (reference to VSE/Bush probably).

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 06/02/2010 01:16 pm »
The announcement is a $15m national emergancy grant for Florida, for 2000 workers over the next three to nine months. It is in addition to the $40m, and stresses the need to make sure the plan goes through to get that $40m.

No jobs, it's to help workers write CVs, target job vacancies, retrain. (Sounds like the US version of Jobseekers, but without the payments).

Big stressing of how FY2011 is amazing.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #18 on: 06/02/2010 01:18 pm »
Claims President Obama's plan will create 2,500 extra jobs compared to the POR.
« Last Edit: 06/02/2010 01:18 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #19 on: 06/02/2010 01:20 pm »
Robert Beale of Aircraft Accessories - with 230 workers - are adding a third shift at his company.....and he's using the opportunity to advertise his company (fair play to him).

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography