Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 - CASSIOPE - September, 2013 - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 507370 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Reading the transcript, there is nothing that states that the Falcon 9 will be recovered during this flight (or that some recovery procedures would be tested); in fact, Elon only refers to CRS-3 in this context.

You're right, it's not abundantly clear when they're going to do the first ocean landing attempt.. except that Elon says they're trying for multiple attempts this year.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Spugpow

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
Someone had an inside source, but I don't remember the specifics.

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
There has been speculation about if they could recover the first stage and if they are planning to. I have not heard any definitive answer on if that is their goal. However it does appear clear from the various sources that SpaceX will be attempting to slow the rocket down, reenter it, and simulate the landing burn above the ocean. Which makes sense if you think of these types of tests as expanding the envelope from the sky down and Grasshopper expanding the envelope from the ground up.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
Anybody have any info on CASSIOPE?
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723

To be clear, there was a post that suggested that there was a rumor that maybe SpaceX would try some recovery procedures during the Cassiope flight, but zero confirmation.

Note that I am not saying that there won't be a test during this flight, only that there is no data from SpaceX indicating there will be.

For now, all we have is a rumor.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

To be clear, there was a post that suggested that there was a rumor that maybe SpaceX would try some recovery procedures during the Cassiope flight, but zero confirmation.

Note that I am not saying that there won't be a test during this flight, only that there is no data from SpaceX indicating there will be.

Jim confirmed the first ver. 1.1 would be some return tests.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
Douglas Clark

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428

not rumor

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970

not rumor
Jim, I've been wondering how you think they plan to integrate the boost back avionics. Obviously isolated to the 1st stage, but do you think Boost Back Avionics is monitoring at all times from launch or triggered on Second Stage Sep? Or a combination thereof?

Also, from inside the control room. Do you think they will assign a few people to monitor just boost back events, as while that is occurring, there will be other events happening, 2nd stage burn, Fairing Sep, Sat Sep etc...

Just curious how this will be organized, executed and monitored.

Thanks
Rich

Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
Any chance we will get video footage of the attempted landing over water?
Clayton Birchenough

Offline QuantumG

• Australia

not rumor

Jim, if you could get us something (other than your say so) to verify that SpaceX are going to attempt recovery of the first stage on this flight, that'd be great. So far there's no explicit public statements to that effect from SpaceX, but it's certainly the impression I got.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914

Jim, if you could get us something (other than your say so) to verify that SpaceX are going to attempt recovery of the first stage on this flight, that'd be great. So far there's no explicit public statements to that effect from SpaceX, but it's certainly the impression I got.

I didn't get the impression that they were going to recover the stage from Jim. He just said they would attempt the burns needed for flyback and attempt to bring it to a water landing.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline QuantumG

• Australia

I didn't get the impression that they were going to recover the stage from Jim. He just said they would attempt the burns needed for flyback and attempt to bring it to a water landing.

Yes, that's all I meant by "recovery". There's no explicit public SpaceX statements that this will be attempted on this flight. If Jim can provide something for us, that'd be great.

• ~ 1 AU

Yes, that's all I meant by "recovery". There's no explicit public SpaceX statements that this will be attempted on this flight. If Jim can provide something for us, that'd be great.

Like I stated above, Musk said they would do a propulsive landing over water in the NASA/Spacex Teleconference on the CRS-2 mission.

{snip}
During the NASA/SpaceX teleconference on the CRS-2 mission, Elon Musk confirmed the rumors that they will do a propulsive return test on the upcoming flight of the new Falcon V1.1. He expanded on this to say they will continue doing such tests until they can do a return to the launch site and a powered landing.

For the upcoming flight, after stage separation the first stage booster will do a burn to slow it down and then a second burn just before it reaches the water.

In subsequent flights they will continue these over-water tests. He repeatedly emphasized that he expects several failures before they learn how to do it right.

If all goes well with the over-water tests, they will fly back to launch site and land propulsively. He expects this could happen by mid-2014. Since they don't know how many tests they will need, they don't know exactly which flight this would be.

This is a very accelerated schedule from what most people expected. If they succeed at flying back and landing the first stage, that would be a real revolution in space transport.

From: http://www.newspacewatch.com/articles/spacex-moving-quickly-towards-fly-back-first-stage.html
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

My impression as well
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
Like I stated above, Musk said they would do a propulsive landing over water in the NASA/Spacex Teleconference on the CRS-2 mission.

Quote from: Clark Lindsey
During the NASA/SpaceX teleconference on the CRS-2 mission, Elon Musk confirmed the rumors that they will do a propulsive return test on the upcoming flight of the new Falcon V1.1.

With all due respect to Clark, Elon didn't say which upcoming Falcon v1.1 flight.. he just said:

Quote from: Elon
So, this year is about just recovering - hopefully recovering - the first stage, at all, from an ocean landing and then next year it'll be the boost-back, return to launch site, with the landing gear deployed. That's our aspiration.

and that there will be "several attempts" at the ocean landing.

As I said, there's no explicit statement that the CASSIOPE flight will be the flight they attempt an ocean landing with. I expect it will be, but I'd prefer an explicit statement if possible.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
cutting hairs.  Relight and water landing is "recovery procedures"

• ~ 1 AU
Hmmmm... Well this is infuriating... ::)
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
As I said, there's no explicit statement that the CASSIOPE flight will be the flight they attempt an ocean landing with. I expect it will be, but I'd prefer an explicit statement if possible.
I'm pretty sure it was explicitly stated.
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

• ~ 1 AU
I'm pretty sure it was explicitly stated.

Any idea where?
Clayton Birchenough

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography